Vineyard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vineyard

His Lordship (gawd help us) has decided to nick the far paddock to plant 500 vines with the aim of producing our own wine

Um - help
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Will grapes get a discount ?.....Seriously good luck with that venture, at least the vines won't go short of good horse muck.

Comment

I do hope he has fully researched the work that will be needed, among other matters.
      To the best of my recollection, once vines are fully established you get about 1 bottle of wine per vine per year? Can you drink that much?
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
        I do hope he has fully researched the work that will be needed, among other matters.
        To the best of my recollection, once vines are fully established you get about 1 bottle of wine per vine per year? Can you drink that much?
        If not, pm me !
        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
          If not, pm me !
          Umm, well, umm 500 bottles might last a year
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
            I ... once vines are fully established you get about 1 bottle of wine per vine per year? Can you drink that much?
            If there's any doubt just let me know - always available to help!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

This sounds a brilliant idea! If I had that much land I'd do the same. What varieties are you going to plant?

Comment

WOW, lucky you!!!! pm me your email addy as I have lots of info on growing your own vines which I can forward to you.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirl - Would your info on growing vines be suitable for someone who wants to have about 5 on an allotment?

Comment

I don't see why not fran. It was sent to me by a chap who grows vines for wine when I was asking him the best way to train and prune mine. If I remember right it takes up a couple of large emails. PM your email address if you want the info.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Believe me he has actually read books on this - first time I've EVER seen him read a book He's growing Rondo and Regent and has the advice of the wine maker at Chilford Hall to help. He's already started prepping the land has the vines on order for April and has determined pruning lay and everything in fact he has become obsessional
                      Hayley B

Comment

Have (partly) researched vines for our allotment (not 500 of them though) but haven't really reached a decision to grow/not to grow as with pruning/training etc etc it appears that its 3 years before you can pick them in order to make wine. Obviously also have to take into account the soil/sunlight/shade etc etc. Good luck with your venture.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X