raspberry wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raspberry wine

Hi All. So.... I've got the rasps soaking in the bucket, and tonight I've got to add the sugar, yeast etc.... then leave it for a couple of days then put in the DJ's and ferment etc..... Can anyone give me a rought indication as to how long it'll be in the DJ's for as from the mound of information I've been reading (wish I wasn't a virgo and could just "go with the flow"...!!) it could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to over a year! The original recipe I read made it out that this was a quick wine, but am now doubting this! If it is a long one, could anyone give me a "quick one" (behave...) to get the cellar started?

I have my first batch of Elderflower wine on the go but hope the way I've been told might help you, if your using an airlock in the top of your DJ's the fermentation process should be complete when the bubbles have stopped rising to the top, you then bottle and add extra sugar and leave for a few days before laying down in a wine rack, you should then leave for about 7-14 days or untill it is clear but it will improve the longer you leave it, this is the way that I have to go with elderflower, not 100% if it will be the same for you but i hope it helps.
    Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot

Comment

The seem to vary wine to wine, and batch to batch, mac, which doesn't help you, I know....

The redcurrant wine I have on the go at the mo was at your stage about 10 days ago - I put it in the dj a week ago, and now the ferment has slowed right down and I've given it it's first racking today.

It now looks like red murk again now, of course, but I would like to think that it'll clear within about 4 wks ready for bottling. THen it SHOULD mature for about 6 months, be we'll see about that...

Comment

Thanks Paul, how long roughly will it be in the DJ's for? (total numpy here!)...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul D84 View Post
          I have my first batch of Elderflower wine on the go but hope the way I've been told might help you, if your using an airlock in the top of your DJ's the fermentation process should be complete when the bubbles have stopped rising to the top, you then bottle and add extra sugar and leave for a few days before laying down in a wine rack, you should then leave for about 7-14 days or untill it is clear but it will improve the longer you leave it, this is the way that I have to go with elderflower, not 100% if it will be the same for you but i hope it helps.
          I'd be wary about adding extra sugar just before bottling unless you are VERY sure that the wine has stopped fermenting - a second fermentation will send your corks could explode out the bottles....

Comment

Well I put mine in the DJ's Sunday night and fermentations says it should take between 7-14 days, depending on the tempreture, when the bubbles stop I have to add a wine stabiliser and leave for an extra 24 hours, then take it out of the DJ's and bottle so I expect it would be a similar length of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
              I'd be wary about adding extra sugar just before bottling unless you are VERY sure that the wine has stopped fermenting - a second fermentation will send your corks could explode out the bottles....
              Very good point as they don't go quitely if they do blow.

Comment

Thanks guys, guess I'll just try lots of different things and see how it goes!

Comment

So.....All the other gubbins went in the bucket last night (smells lovely), and it's now diddling awa in the sheddy. Quick question - do you stir it during this bit (3 days it said) or just leave it be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X