Items needed for winemaking?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Items needed for winemaking?

I was planning on starting winemaking as a shared hobby with OH. I thought I could start with a basic kit from Wilkinsons. What other items of equipment do you think I would need? Someone has posted on freecycle and they have the following:
    > Hi, we have a large plastic funnel, small glass one, a couple of sommeliers, corker, corks, couple of glass hydrometers, bottle heater, wine thermometer, old paperbacks - the only thing that's changed over the years is that they've been reprinted!>>

I have enquired and they have asked which items that I need ?? but as I do not have a clue I thought I would ask the experts here...
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

You do need a few items for ongoing winemaking, but the basic youngs wine kit gets you going for the first batch. The kit contains (from memory): 2 off 1 gall buckets, a lid, yeast/concentrate/finings for the first batch, tube for siphoning, corks for bottling.

Things that I either needed to buy/obtain separately, or are very useful for ongoing wine making were:

demijohns (reecycle/charity shop)
    bottles
    airlock (2 for about a fiver from wilko)
    hydrometer (a couple of quid, wilko)
    big test tube thing to hold sample of wine in order to test with hydrometer (a couple of quid)
    yeast & nutrient, sterilizer (can use miltons), amalayse, pectolase (all about £1 each from wilko)
    plastic corks (you can buy cork corks, but then you need to buy a hand corker...)
    jug, funnel
    copy of CJJ Berry Winemaking book. You can get loads of recipes from the various websites (and you get to making it up as you go along too), but the book tells you why you do stuff, and what to go if things go wrong too...

What is on sale, but I don't think that you need:

special long stirring spoon
    heating belt/jacket
    siphon tube with a tap
    finings
    thermometer

I don't think you'll gain a huge amount from the freecycle stuff you have listed, but - hey - free is free, and the plastic funnel will be useful if you don't already have one, I guess.
    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 27-07-2009, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Personally I would bag the corker, hydrometer and bottle heater. Not sure what they are meaning by sommeliers as one of them is a wine caretaker (person - it is a job)! Maybe they mean demijohns but got mixed up, if dj's then try for a couple of those as they are always useful to have.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

I recently got my replacement copy of CJJ's book. 99p plus £1.99 postage, off ebay.
        Demijohns are hugely useful (you need the airlock to go with)

I would go with Shirl's list.
        The'sommeliers' may be some kind of alternative to demijohns, or possibly some fancy version of those 'wine-in-a-box' containers. Either way, they might come in handy....

It may be that the paperbacks include THE book, if so, grab it!
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Caution!!

Free may be free!, but will it be sterile?, even demijohns can get contaminated!!, leave a dj in the shed/garage or cupboard with a drop of wine in and it will acetify!, the contamination is very hard to get rid of, as the slightest scratch can harbour bacteria, and will ruin anything you make, it can take several knocks!! before a dj breaks, the last one being the most gentle of all, it has happened to me!!, wine dripping through the ceiling into the hall!!!!!!, not a popular bear that week I can tell you!.
          The equipment that you will accquire over the years will all be vital!! to you and junk to the rest of the family, sneak it in a little at a time and your victims will hardly notice.
          ps, a "Vinometer" from Southern Vinyards is useful for telling you how much alcohol is in your finished wine, costs pennies and will help to restrain your sugar hand!!, 15% is a lot of alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, beware the trembling sugar hand! it wants to add more
          Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Was reading this post yesterday and ordered some of the "stuff" mentioned (already had some but was unsure as to exactly what else I would need - total novice!) from a site I found - shop4homebrew. Not sure if I'm allowed to name drop on here, but as I placed the order at about lunchtime and received it first thing this morning, all very well packed, I thought I would give them a "public" round of applause. Prices seemed very reasonable as I compared some other sites too. Good old fashioned customer service! Raspberry wine here I come

Comment

Hi Mac,

You may find this bit of my web site interesting,

Piggy Back Beers, Wines & Ciders

I would also recommend YoBrew - Home brew wine, cider, beer, drinks, kits and recipes as well.

Sam Smith

Comment

Thanks Sam, will have a squiz....

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the lists of items etc. I picked up the freecycle package (corker,corks and hydrometer and some 'bits'. I need to have a proper look through the package when I get a moment on my own. I have also ordered a start up kit online from brewityourself. I just need to add some extras from wilko and I will have OH's birthday present sorted - great !
                  BumbleB

Comment

Today is OH birthday and the winemaking kits have all been opened with interest. Seeing as he is a retired chef who has a liking for fine wine the first bottles will be interesting. I included a Youngs Chardonnay and a Beaverdale Barollo but I am also interested in trying the fruit tea bag wine and some 'country' wines.

I will be on here for advice, tips and help no doubt.

Cheers all.
                    BumbleB

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X