Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which sugar

HI all,

lovin' the forum, I've been lurking around for a while, so I thought it about time I signed up and got stuck in?

First question

What's the difference between Brewers sugar and standard granulated sugar other than price?

I've never heard of brewers sugar ...?
    but I googled this ...http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/v...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-07-2009, 07:30 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

never heard of brewer's sugar - only jam sugar

Comment

Clicky on this link

buy & learn about home brewing Brewing & Winemaking Sugar 1kg - Additives - Ingredients

Thanks two_sheds

interesting read, looks like it's a trade off between taste and strength.
        Last edited by Madmac; 25-07-2009, 07:51 AM.

Comment

It is better to brew using 100% malt and not adding extra sugar. The sugar only makes the beer week and thin at an increase in strength.
          If you are looking to brew from a kit, get one with 3KG of malt.

Gran sugar is sucrose and can impart undesirable flavours like yeaty or cidery.
          Brewing sugar tend to be made with either Dextrose or corn syrup.

Comment

Agree with WTD, I only use granulated for wine,beer and cider is better for dextrose or double kits.Interestingly breweries use mollases and granulated(or the ones in burton on trent used to).

Comment

Granulated (sucrose) breaks down into glucose. Mollasses is simply impure sucrose (it hasn't had the other compounds taken out of it) in the form of a syrup.
              I'm wondering what a 'barley-wine' type drink would be like made with molasses (or simply black treacle, the differences are pretty subtle). Would the compounds that make it dark add a flavour comparable (obviously not so very similar) to maltose?
              Worth a try one of these days......
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

MadMac,
                Ordinary sugar is cheap & 100% fermantable. Brewers sugar is expensive & only about 80-85% rermentable & so you need more to get the same alcohol. BUT it does add "body" to a beer & brewers sugars are available in various colours which affect the beer. I hope this helps. Let me know if I've confused the issue.

Sam Smith

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X