Gonna start making wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna start making wine

I have decided I am going to start making wine. I went into the home brew shop and asked what I will need to start off apart from the ingredients ( fruit etc ) I dont have anything. She was amazing and told me I only need a demijohn, an airlock and something else ( forgot already lol ) so tomorrow I will go and get what I need and start. Wish me luck lol
    Shirl I might need your phone number lol.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

No problem, what you going to make first?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I think I have enough for elderflower or rhubarb, blackcurrants are ripening.
      and ends with backache

Comment

rhubarb is really easy! tastes scrummy too.

Comment

A lidded bucket is a good idea for the 'pre-demijohn' stage.......
          I got mine from our local market, but I have heard of them being purchased from Mothercare........
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Blackberry wine is scrummy and very easy to make, i made some last year in september, it was ready to drink at Christmas, i've still got 4 bottles left.....if you can leave it for longer ...it tastes like port

Comment

don't be tempting me! I want to start doing wine again, now I have the space, but I *have to* decorate the house before I start another *fun* project
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I love the thought of it, but so far every attempt I have made has failed, and been undrinkable
                Made quince, grape and some other wine 2 years ago, and threw them down the sink. Made cider, and it tasted of apple juice (yes I know its supposed to) but too watery. I am clearly doing something wrong, but will try again this year with rhubarb. I hate being beaten things like this.
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I know I said I only need a few things to start me off, I also know that I need lots more stuff to make wine which I will add to my list as and when I need to buy them. Thanks to the person who sent me a pm, I only want to get going with the basics that I need.
                  and ends with backache

Comment

Jackie, I have everything you need for wine-making, let me know what you want. I have demi-johns by the score, heat belts, hydrometers also loads of wine-making books.

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                      Jackie, I have everything you need for wine-making, let me know what you want. I have demi-johns by the score, heat belts, hydrometers also loads of wine-making books.
                      ooooooooooo Thanks polly when we gonna meet up again. I still want to see what you are doing with your land lol
                      and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                        I love the thought of it, but so far every attempt I have made has failed, and been undrinkable
                        perhaps your taste buds have been spoiled, having become accustomed to so much good French wine?

Country wines (home made) don't really taste like wine-as-we-know-it, imo

Nice enough for what they are, but not at all like a good Cab Sov
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                          ooooooooooo Thanks polly when we gonna meet up again. I still want to see what you are doing with your land lol
                          I pick up six black-faced lambs tonight and three Berkshire weaners next Wednesday. My table chicks are hatched and when you and I have time off at the same time I will pick you up and show you!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            perhaps your taste buds have been spoiled, having become accustomed to so much good French wine?

Nice enough for what they are, but not at all like a good Cab Sov
                            If you expect 'country' wine to taste like bought wine, you willl nearly always be disappointed. If you expect something pleasant, with a similar alcohol content but a different flavour, some of them will be delicious (and you may even prefer them to 'classic' wines).
                            About the only country wine with any resemblance to red grape wine is elderberry, but quite a lot of pale fruit or flower wines have recognisable alliance with whites, not to 'taste like', but to 'go with the same things' (and appeal to the same tastes).
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

Depends - I certainly haven't made anything which tastes like a good red (mores the pity!), however the parsnip wine tasted very much like an oaky vanillery chardonnay, and the rhubarb wine tastes very much like that pink stuff that all the girls in the local pub drink.

I agree, however, that the pea pod tastes nothing whatsoever like any commercial wine you are ever likely to buy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X