how can i sweeten?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i sweeten?

My wine is ready but i'm finding it quite tart.... how can i sweeten it up a bit?

This is my first ever batch of homemade wine, made with 2 cartons white grape juice and 1 catron of apple ( or it coud be the other way round!!)

I think you just put more sugar in, though I've not had to do it before so don;t take my word for it. Also not sure if it would start fermenting again.
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

You can buy sweetener (non fermentable) from Wilkinsons or your local brew shop. I can't help you much with that as I have never used it. Are you sure it needs sweetening? Have you de-gassed it? CO2 can make it taste pretty grotty.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

That was my thoughts..... maybe i'll just have to add lemonade to the glass, make a spritzer!!! lol

Comment

De- gassed? can u tell me how please?

Comment

Either stir vigorously or syphon into bottles leaving a bit of space - put thumb over top of bottle and shake until the 'fizzing' stops. Will take a good shake (a bit like taking the fizz out of lemonade) and you might be surprised by the difference in taste.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

I've just siphoned into bottles don't taste too bad after a few mouthfuls!!! lol, just the first mouthfull is a bit bouncy on the tongue ( does that make sense?) I have siphoned into a bottle with a well known name label still attached to it, gonna test it on my mother in law next weekend, see what she thinks of " the bottle i bought " just to see if she can tell the difference...... then when she announces that she likes it i will tell her its mine, if she announces that she don't i'll keep quiet!!!!

Comment

Very clever idea!!!
                The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Saccharine tablets?
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you add more sugar, it will probably start to ferment again.( ie, you get more alcohol and it wont be any sweeter)

Try a search for "non-fermentable sugars"

I have a vague recollection of using lactose to inmprove sweetness.......

Comment

Having been drinking it over the weekend, and the fact that it passed the mother in law test i have decided it is fine as it is!!!! lol

Comment

Just for interest, there was quite a bit of discussion about sweeteners in cider circles some time ago, and it was decided that Sucralose is a much better sweetener than the widely used Saccharine, which IMO tastes nasty. Sucralose is non-fermentable and available as Splenda in shops.

Cheers, Mark
                        http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
                        http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorbitol and glycerine would be my bet, but I don't suppose there's any left to sweeten if it was only a gallon!!!
                          Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Add some sugar to the glass just before you drink it.
                            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X