Beer Kits from Wilkinsons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Kits from Wilkinsons

Well reading some of the posts on this forum has set me off wanting to brew some beer again, or rather lager.
    Has anyone tried the kits from Wilkos? What do the lagers taste like?

A beer I've had in the states is "Samual Adams Boston Lager" and I really LOVE the taste of it.....has anybody out there got an ideas of a kit that would give me something like the taste of Sam Adams??? It's an amber colour with a really good taste....not at all like Heiniken type lager.

Any ideas gratefully recieved from you experts!

well ... lager doesn't have any taste anyway!

Seriously, my neighbour brews her own lager, loads of it, so it can't be too bad.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The Wilkinson's kits are okay. I did the brew buddy bitter one recently but added a pack of beer kit enhancer instead of sugar - lovely beer was the result. I did the lager one a few years ago and it came out sort of like stella as I recall but without the chemical tang. Got to make more when I have a bit of cash spare for the kit.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

I make my own cider which can end up a bit like rocket fuel so i tried one of the Young's lager kits from Wilko thinking it would be ok for general quaffing. It tasted awful and chemically. Even as a seasoned drinker I couldn't persevere with it. I have a friend who brews his own beer from natural ingredients and it tastes really good but it's a bit of a faff about compared to using a kit. I suppose you have to ask yourself why do brewers use natural ingredients when they could use a kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          well ... lager doesn't have any taste anyway!

Seriously, my neighbour brews her own lager, loads of it, so it can't be too bad.
          LOL 2 Sheds! Sam Adams Boston Lager DOES have taste....it's a cross between a lager and a bitter really.....less hoppy and sweeter than bitter.
          I don't really like the taste of bitter, so I want to make something in between....like "Speckled Hen"

I know I'm being dead lazy wanting to use a kit (have brewed some really good stuff from scratch many years ago, but it needed much dedication!!)
          Think I'll have to do some research, then get the gear out of the loft and just have a go!

Comment

Originally posted by Maddie106 View Post
            LOL 2 Sheds! Sam Adams Boston Lager DOES have taste....it's a cross between a lager and a bitter really.....less hoppy and sweeter than bitter.
            I don't really like the taste of bitter, so I want to make something in between....like "Speckled Hen"
            Then you would probably like the beer I made with a Youngs beer kit and a package of beer kit enhancer. It is beer coloured but very mild and pleasant.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Years ago I found a type of kit called Edme Century Ale. Made up without adding sugar (2 kits to 5 gallons, the other version was 1 kit and some sugar to 3 gallons), it came out delish, in the same 'family' of flavour as classic Ruddle's County and other 'real ales' of that era.
              Unfortunately I think the company no longer exists.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                Then you would probably like the beer I made with a Youngs beer kit and a package of beer kit enhancer. It is beer coloured but very mild and pleasant.
                Thanks Shirl.....I'll look out for Youngs in my quest for a good kit to use.

I've been pondering the problem of now not having a nice cool cellar (The cellar steps were dead dodgy on the 3rd or 4th trip for a jug of home brew!!! HIC!)

We are soon going to have a spare larder fridge, so if the pressure barrel fits, it can go in there to give nice cold beer!!

Comment

I used a pressure barrel for my first batch of beer (or lager, can't remember) but this lot I bottled. I have found it much better to bottle as the pressure barrel would not pressurise and we wasted half the brew!

(BTW Young's kits are available in Wilkinson's - around a tenner for the beer kit which does 30 or 40 pints. Kit includes a big tin of malt extract and a pack of yeast. About a fiver for the bag of beer kit enhancer which is powdered spray malt. No sugar needed if you use the enhancer)
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Maddie106 View Post
                    We are soon going to have a spare larder fridge, so if the pressure barrel fits, it can go in there to give nice cold beer!!
                    If you do put barrel in fridge you will need to charge it afterwards with a co2 bulb or if co2 cylinder because as it cools the gas contracts so it loses pressure especially the lager with it being light it does'nt hold on to the gas well once you start dispencing it unless you are drinking it all in one go i.e. bbq or get together

Comment

Hiya, im a newbie to this home brewing, anyone know if the wilkinson cider tastes alright?! Would i need anything else apart from the kit there advertising??
                      Young's u Brew Brew Buddy Cider Kit 40 Pint 1.75kg at Wilkinson Plus

Many thanks

James

Comment

Originally posted by james747 View Post
                        Hiya, im a newbie to this home brewing, anyone know if the wilkinson cider tastes alright?! Would i need anything else apart from the kit there advertising??

Many thanks

James
                        Hi,just tasted mine,it tastes like cider (i made the stronger version)only been bottled 4 days but seems a little flat at the moment,i dont know how strong it's going to be?,cheers kev.

Comment

Excellent stuff, i think i might buy it now but do i just buy this kit or is there anything else i need??
                          Last edited by james747; 10-07-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by james747 View Post

Many thanks

James
                            That is just a tin of concentrate which will brew into a cider, you would need a 5 gallon brew bucket and a hydrometer to go with that. The kits they sell in store (in a box) are £20 and have a brew bucket and hydrometer and maybe a syphon hose (not sure if they do a cider one like that though sorry) but you will also need bottles or a pressure barrel to keep it in.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Ok so i've bought all that stuff now but it doesnt say where to keep it?! does it have to be in a dark place? at a certain temp??

sorry for all the questions!!

James

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X