Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackcurrant vodka?

does anyone have a recipe for this?
    I found one for snapps but it doesn't use sugar and I thought you always added sugar

Thanks

There are sugar containing recipes, and non-sugar recipes, but the principle is always the same.
    I make sloe gin each year, and I don't measure anything! The same approach should work for most fruit/booze combinations.
    In a nice big jar (the ones I use originally had olives in, like a jam jar but about double the height) put clean fruit to loosely fill jar.
    Pour over enough sugar to look as though it has filled the spaces, THEN shake the sugar down. Put lid on, sjake violently, leave somewhere warm for 48 hours (airing cupboard or sunny windowsill...)
    Pour in as much of the booze as will fit, stir, leave in warm place (it can be tricky getting all the sugar dissolved, but it doesn't have to all dissolve the first day). Stir daily for a week, then weekly for a month. The time will vary with fruit type (the harder the fruit, the longer it will take, I leave sloes for about 3 months in all, really soft fruit may be ready to bottle after the first week).
    When there is no undissolved sugar, and the liquid is a lovely colour, strain and bottle. Some types of fruit can be used in cooking after the extraction process.
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Janeyo, I did some blackberry brandy a couple of years ago, and added no sugar at all. The natural sugars in the fruit made it work perfectly.
      Just shoved loads of blackberries into a bottle, and filled it with the brandy. Left for best part of a year I think (was a toughie) but was gorgeous when I drank it.
      Once it was all gone, and I could no longer see or remember my own name, I made ice cream with the blackberries. Tops!!
      Bob Leponge
      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I want to make plum vodka, do you think they'll need extra sugaring? Maybe I'll try one with and one without and do a pepsi challenge.

Comment

I just made cherry vodka with some black cherries that I wasn't able to eat quickly enough fresh. Add sugar to taste - if you don't like it sweet don't add any. It can always be added later if necessary. The alcohol preserves the fruit.

Comment

I've got raspberry vodka on the go which involves a kilner jar full of raspberries, I then covered the surface of the fruit in sugar and topped up with vodka. Shook a lot every few days for about a week or so until all the sugar had disolved and then left in a dark cupboard for (so far) about a month or two. Will be decanting in the next few weeks when I get round to it and it'll make a lovely pale pink drink. Made some rhubarb by the same means earlier in the year and some blackberry bacardi which is also very good.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I filled a decent sized jar with blackcurrants. The filled all the gaps with sugar. The filled it up with vodkas. I shook it daily for a week and it's now waiting til xmas to be sampled...

Comment

Silly question but do you screw a cap back on or does it need to ferment with a bubbler. Thinking of going for blackberry Vodka, seeing as I've just found an unused bottle in the back of the cupboard.

Comment

Madmac,
                  I have 2 ways of doing it, depending on what I want to do with the bottle/fruit afterwards.
                  Either straight in the bottle with the lid screwed back on, or if I want the fruit, or the fruit is too big (rhubarb) I do it in Kilner type jars, and then pour the liquid back into the bottles once ready.
                  Never used an airlock though and nothings exploded.
                  Yet...
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

left over raspberries

what do you do with the left over raspberries once you've taken the vodka off?

just done some today ready for festive hampers and find i have a whole load of pale pink raspberries left over....hate to see waste!

Comment

Put em in the bottom of a trifle? (Last year I froze some of our 'gin'd rasps until xmas!)
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

oh that's a fine idea, i like that one a lot.......thanks

Comment

When you make wine do you leave the fruit in the finished product or dou get rid of the fruit

Comment

[QUOTE=Scottishnewbie;568878]what do you do with the left over raspberries once you've taken the vodka off?

just done some today ready for festive hampers and find i have a whole load of pale pink raspberries left over....hate to see waste![/QUOTE

Eat them with a bit of sugar and some cream1 don't drive afterwards though.

Comment

[QUOTE=Polly Fouracre;574481]
                              Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                              what do you do with the left over raspberries once you've taken the vodka off?

just done some today ready for festive hampers and find i have a whole load of pale pink raspberries left over....hate to see waste![/QUOTE

Eat them with a bit of sugar and some cream1 don't drive afterwards though.
                              mine are in the freezer ready to be brought out to make a christmas trifle in a couple of weeks...........hic!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X