Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderflower Champagne... time to get going!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I added yeast to mine. It didn't seem to be fermenting prior to that.
    Fingers crossed only 1 explosion (so far!!).
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

• Adding yeast would seem to be the problem!
      The 'wild' yeast gives up when a modest fermentation has happened, leaving a sparkle, plenty of sweetness, and a low alcohol content. 'Proper' yeast keeps going as long as there is sugar to use (up to its alcohol limit) and that produces LOTS of gas, hence explosions.
      Yeast tablets sold as a food supplement are probably 'dead' yeast, unable to ferment.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

• That was what I thought Hilary B. I have never used extra yeast and never had trouble with explosions.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
          I've just made mine but don't have any brewer's yeast - I have normal turbo yeast for breadmaking - I've googled and this isn't suitable as it has a stronger taste - has anyone ever used it and can verify this - or are there other reasons? You can buy brewers yeast tabs as a food supplement - I take it this is the same stuff - how much do you need?
          Sunbeam,
          I've used bread yeast as I didn't trust the wild stuff and I do think it's a might strong. You can get 'Champagne' brewers yeast on ebay for about £1.50 last time I looked, not that I've done this yet
          The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Llamas View Post
            Sunbeam,
            I've used bread yeast as I didn't trust the wild stuff and I do think it's a might strong. You can get 'Champagne' brewers yeast on ebay for about £1.50 last time I looked, not that I've done this yet
            Champagne yeast doesn't have the convenient tendency to die just when it has done enough. THAT is the advantage of the wild yeast for this particular idea.
            Traditional bread yeast is very little different from beer-making yeast, but the modern stuff that you dry-mix with the flour has added ingredients, which may well put strange tastes in your booze!
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

• Just spotted this thread (I normally just look at the plot, sorry).

I made my first 10 litres of the year last Sunday, the first day in this area that I thought that the flowers looked opened enough. My bucket didn't fizz, it never does (15 years experience). I just let the yeasts on the flowers do their work I don't want high alcohol, and I bottle after only about 24 hours. When I drink it, it is always sparkling and sweetish and perfumed. But to hades with this 'drink after 3 weeks' advice. I give mine 4 months to a year. It goes drier and stronger the longer I leave it but not adding 'foreign yeast' means it is crystal clear and pure tasting.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

• I have had my 'champagne' in a pan in the kitchen for 4 days now (minus any added yeast) and it has gone mouldy in places on the surface - the hairy sort of mouldy - do I need to be worried or is this all part of the fermentation process. If I do need to start again it needs to be asap whilst there are still elderflowers around!
                Last edited by Sunbeam; 20-06-2009, 08:53 PM.
                How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

• Elderflower champagne should be bottled after 24 - 48 hours. It does its fermenting in the bottle. I would suggest you try again. Try this recipe BBC - h2g2 - How to Make Elderflower 'Champagne' I have always had good results from it (but use pop bottles, not glass ones)
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

• yeast

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
                    On the yeast front, I usually just use bread yeast, but for elderflower wine you shouldn't really need any.
                    Does this work? I'm finding it hard to get brewers yeast but would love to have a go at the elderflower champagne- how much do you use?

Comment

• Ok, I need some clarification on a few points. Shirl - the recipe you refer to uses far fewer elderflower heads than HFW - is this correct?
                      Also I need to know how long this stuff keeps. It would be great for it to last into the new year, but pointless making loads if it doesn't store. Does it need to be stored anywhere specific (cool, dark etc) or is just a corner of the utility ok?
                      Finally, I'm slightly worried about the explosion risk. I'm planning to make the champagne in 2L pop bottles, but don't know at what point to release the pressure and how long the pressure builds up for; I don't want to keep releasing it, only to find the fizz has all gone when it comes to drinking.
                      I'm keen to get some cordial and champagne started in the next day or two whilst there's still an abundance of flowers. In fact, at the risk of not finding citric acid, I'll probably pick a load later.

Comment

• Wafler, I won't bother quoting. The recipe Shirl gives is essentially the same as mine except I use a pint (uncompressed) of flower heads. It is not critical. It just depends how perfumy you want it.

I keep mine for up to two years but usually drink it within the year. I store mine in the old utilility room. The CH is always at 18C so it's pretty warm. It is also in the light. I usually release pressure after 3 weeks then no more. Never had a blow because I don't add extra yeast.

Citric acid? that is just the lemon juice and white wine vinegar.

If you want a 'heavy' champagne then Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall has one on his recipe site. Personally I think it should be light and only mildly alcoholic.
                        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                        >
                        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

• Thank you! Just picked 60 heads for the cordial and shall go back for more for the champagne! Quite excited now though!
                          The citric acid is for the cordial. HFW recipe only uses lemon juice as standard and states that this will keep for a few weeks in the fridge. I'm hoping to get it to last longer with the addition of citric acid.

Comment

• I've tried my first glass full. Not as nice as last year's. I think I put a bit too much lemon juice in. A bit too tangy for my taste, but still drinkable and with plenty of fizz, and no explosions
                            Last edited by pdblake; 21-06-2009, 03:44 PM.
                            Urban Escape Blog

Comment

• With that recipe, does it not matter that the water is cold. Will the sugar still dissolve?
                              I am now confusing myself by trying to cross this recipe with HFW's, which I'm not sure will work as 'yours' bottles the liquer several days sooner than his, and I don't know how crucial it is for this part of the process to happen outside or inside of bottles.
                              My cordial is now 'stewing' so hopefully we'll at least get that following my procrastination!

Comment

• I usually bung the sugar in the fermenting bin then add the water and stir till dissolved then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir every six hours for a couple days then (when it smells yummy and the flowers start to go brown) bottle in 2 litre bottles. I never release the pressure and so far have not had an explosion. I finished last years brew last week (we drank it with crimbo dinner last year yummy) and have started on this years brew this week. Need to make more as I have developed a real liking for it.

Last year I made about 10 litres, this year I have already done 22 litres but intend to make much more. It is lovely to mix with white wine for a spritzer.
                                Happy Gardening,
                                Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X