Parsley Wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsley Wine

Has anyone ever made parsley wine? I wanted to know if its a dry or more of a sweet wine as I have loads of it growing. The recipe i'm using is:

1 lb fresh parsley
    2 kilos sugar
    2 oranges, fine peels and juice
    2 lemons, fine peels and juice.
    water to make up one gallon.
    yeast and nutrient

I would like this to turn out a lil sweet but not sachrin like. any suggestions if you have made it? Thaks a bunch
    Peaceful days are in the garden!

That is a LOT of sugar! If you put that amount of sugar to 1 gallon at the start it may refuse to even start fermenting!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

double checked the recipe it is 1.75 kilos or 4 pounds of sugar. its a c j j berry recipe so i'm expecting it to work. just need to figure out how it should taste though to see if its worth doing.

Comment

CJJ Berry is often quite generous with the sugar. I would suggest adding sugar until your starting SG is 1.09 or so (1.11 will give a sweet wine). It is easier to back sweeten a wine that is too dry later than to try and ferment the sweetness out if you start with too much sugar.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

thanks shirl silly question what is SG again?

Comment

SG is specific gravity - measured with a hydrometer (available from Wilkinsons or your home brew store). It is always a good idea to measure the SG as you will then be able to work out how strong your brew is and when it has 'fermented to dry'
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

thats what i forgot to get today at the homebrew store i knew there was something else as I was grabbing some sweetener and tannin. Thanks for that shirl i'll look into that as well.
              Last edited by Gardenwitch; 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Well started off making the must today and I have to say even though its early days it looks like a winner So will let it steep overnight before adding the yeast then see if its starts its bubbling thing, fingers crossed.

Comment

a sunset orange liquid greeted me this morning with a citrusy herby smell. added nutrients and yeast and we have a lil bubbling; i thought i made the rest of the gallon water to hot initially but seems to be alright

Comment

There is a genourous ammount of bubbling now and at a steady pace, slow starting but is looking great now. The smell is intoxicating as well

Comment

Still slightly bubbling so I think by next week it should be ready to siphon off and set aside to clear, horay

Comment

GW - i've just started some of this through necessity - how did yours turn out?

Comment

I'd hoped to make this, but my parsley is still 3" tall
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X