Nettle beer.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nettle beer.....

Nettles are everywhere and asking to be brewed.

There are recipies all over the place and seem pretty straightforward... however - I have a brewing question. Most recipies say brew it in a bucket for a few days, then bottle it - in strong sealed bottles obviously to build up a good fizz. BUT - I've also heard of people starting as usual with a bucket, but then trasferring to a demi-john with airlock.

Now, would I be right in thinking this will produce a more alcoholic brew, and that more sugar would need to be added - once the bottling into strong bottle phase is reached, to help produce some fizz?

Or is the demi-john phase a waste of time?

J

I don't think it would be more alcoholic in a demi john, that is all dependent on the amount of sugar to start with. The demi john stage may be to help the beer to clear. But if fizz is the desired endpoint (as well as alcohol) then bottling before the end of fermentation will do this or adding sugar when bottling after the demijohn step. Swings and roundabouts.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I am currently seeking a source of nettles that are abundant and unsprayed.

Please do let us know how you get on! I am keen to try this myself!
      Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X