rhubarb wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gardenwitch View Post
    ok good to know but can i ask a really silly question? why do yo need to place in DJ to clear? Why cant you just bottle it up and then let it clear in its bottle?

Because if you open the bottle when it has been done that way, you need to pour the whole bottle in one go. Every time you tip the bottle back to upright (eg between glassfuls) the bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle gets stirred up!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

ah what a nutter i am that does make perfect sense; at least i can explain it to OH
      Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

Is there a way to sweeten the wine now that its done fermenting? Its still very acidic to me. I've already cleared the gunk out and have it sitting in a DJ to clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenwitch View Post
          Is there a way to sweeten the wine now that its done fermenting? Its still very acidic to me. I've already cleared the gunk out and have it sitting in a DJ to clear.
          If you add sugar, it may or may not start fermenting again (unless you use a campden tablet to kill off the yeast. I don't like the things, some people use them happily) and if it starts fermenting in the bottle, that can get exciting.....
          You can use artificial sweeteners (another option that has never appealed to me) or there is sorbitol, which comes in between. It is the sugar substitute used in diabetic foods (or used to be).
          Or you can use your rather acid rhubarb wine to blend with over-sweet other wines. Apparently it works well, but I've never had any spare to try....
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

humm i think i'll just keep it a few months and see if it mellows with time

Comment

I'd add a bit more sugar (2oz, say) - as it's still in the dj it won't matter if it starts to ferment again, and if it doesn't the wine will be a bit sweeter.

Comment

ok my DJ of wine is now cleared as I can read the book titles on my kitchen counter through the DJ now SO off to bottle up today with fab bottles that already have tha corks attached to them, easy peasy yeah! I'm also interested in tasting some today to see if the flavour is a bit more mellow now, if not then i'll taste again near xmas time and hope its ok for prezzies Thanks for all the fab help along the way, you guys are great!

Comment

Wine bottled, lovley 6 of them corked and mellowing. Had a sip today and at first off its a bit bitter/sour but then it gets smoother with a lovely gentle and refreshing aftertaste! Could see this with a bunch of fresh mint in teh glass too. So hope will taste even better after a few more months being bottled off and its the palest of pale pink colors, soooo pretty

Comment

ok silly probably but i had some extra that didnt get into a bottle and left it in DJ so I have found that mixing it with fizzy lemonade is supreme! Bring on the hot summers and glasses of wine

Comment

Gave my local homebrew shop owners a bottle of this for all thier help during the process and they had the bottle last night. I was so pleased when they said I made a great wine even better than the store owner had; and for my first effort! PS. his wife also got a bit hammered by it as it was so easy to sip down So all those that are hesitant MAKE THIS ONE its divineand a nice wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X