No announcement yet.

rhubarb wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update my rhubarb wine is bubbling away steadily and seems to have a lovely fizzy pearl colar as i call it lol. The most beautiful shade of pale pink as well! AND I can start to smell the delicate rhubarb winey smell as oppossed to the initial yeasty smell. Will let you know in a few weeks when fermenting should be at a slow down thanks for all the help on this learning curve
    Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

Hi Ya, I did not get around to starting mine off yet. Finally got the greenhouse glazed and all the related bits and bobs.

My rhubarb was left by the previous owners and all said, it's the best thing they left (aside from the cat - see pic). I lifted it the first winter (to let the frost at it - I was told you should do this). I split it and foolishly gave a fair bit of it away. Now I have a rather modest crown, though it is holding up well.

It is sited between two compost bins and gets a fair bit of nutrients via leeching I'd imagine!

I am a regular visitor to wilko and looked for precipitated chalk just yesterday and could not see it. Is it known by any other names?

Thanks!
      Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        Having just got the scales out, I can report that about 8 fat stalks weigh 3lb.
        Thanks Hazel, I felt rather lazy asking that question! I think there is probably about that amount on there....

I might take half, freeze as suggested by Hilary B and then bide my time until more is ready. Perhaps that will leave me time to do some nettle beer inbetween!

Comment

Originally posted by mrdinkle View Post
          Thanks Hazel, I felt rather lazy asking that question! I think there is probably about that amount on there....
          No, that was a good question. I now know how many sticks to pull to make a batch of wine.

I've never used precipitated chalk, btw - I just use the CJJ Berry recipe that garden witch put up.

Oh - and that's a smashing cat.
          Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 10-05-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks Hazel. Neath Wilko's missed a sale there Boo!

The cat came with the house, well, they claimed they could not catch him and asked us to feed him for a day or so (he lived outside - poor bugger). Soon realised that they weren't coming back and he took ownership of us. He now lives in doors and has recovered from the ill treatment. Though still a bit short tempered!

Comment

Picked loads of rhubarb today I've got kilos of te stuff now lol Will chop and freeze though to make more wine at a later date this year.

Handsome Cat although he does have a DONT F with me look lol At least he has a lovely adopted family to get to know now and you got a bonus when you bought your house!

Good luck with your wine making too, keep us posted!

Comment

I opted to for the tinned recipe as I like my fresh crumble too much and upon inspection I think there is not quite enough

I am a little confused over SG though. Shirley states that you should start it off at 1.08 or 1.10 SG - I presume I just add sugar with the hydrometer in the container until the SG reaches the correct level (to take advantage of the included sugar)? It will have been standing for 24 hours at this point...

The cat definitely has a don't F with me attitude. We added IBAS to his name eg. Magnus IBAS (I Bite And Scratch)
                Last edited by mrdinkle; 12-05-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

My wine seems to be coming to a stop with its fizzing, its only been a week is it nearly doen with fermentation then? What do I do next and how do I do it?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdinkle View Post
                    I am a little confused over SG though. Shirley states that you should start it off at 1.08 or 1.10 SG - I presume I just add sugar with the hydrometer in the container until the SG reaches the correct level (to take advantage of the included sugar)? It will have been standing for 24 hours at this point...
                    when you get to adding the water up to a gallon (or a gallon and a bit - you always lose a little of the wine in racking off, so I tend to make a bit over) measure the SG to see how far off 1090 you are, then add some sugar* by scooping a pint or so out and disolving the sugar over a low heat (it's quicker to disolve the sugar like this). Add the pint-and-sugar back to the rest and give it a stir and measure the SG again.
                    *50g of sugar raised the SG by about 5, so if you have a reading of 1060 (say) you need to add about 300g of sugar

Remember that the wine ferments like mad when you add the yeast, so you could let it have a couple of days fermenting in the bucket (make sure that you cover it completely with a cloth) before you put it in the demijohn.

Originally posted by Gardenwitch View Post
                    My wine seems to be coming to a stop with its fizzing, its only been a week is it nearly doen with fermentation then? What do I do next and how do I do it?
                    That sounds about right, Witch - it will soon start to clear, so leave it well alone till it has a definite layer of gunk in the bottom of the dj, then syphon off the wine into a bucket (leaving the gunk behind) - it doesn't matter if it isn't clear at this point, you're just getting the dead yeast deposits out of the way.

Rinse the gunk out the dj, re-steralise, then put the wine back int the clean dj, fit the airlock to stop stray nasties getting in, then leave it to completely clear again and then you can bottle it.

Comment

Thanks for the info - it is busy fermenting in the bucket at the moment. I think that it will be ready to strain tomorrow night and then ferment out.

I bottled the dandelion wine last night - it is a lovely golden colour!

Comment

That sounds about right, Witch - it will soon start to clear, so leave it well alone till it has a definite layer of gunk in the bottom of the dj, then syphon off the wine into a bucket (leaving the gunk behind) - it doesn't matter if it isn't clear at this point, you're just getting the dead yeast deposits out of the way.

Rinse the gunk out the dj, re-steralise, then put the wine back int the clean dj, fit the airlock to stop stray nasties getting in, then leave it to completely clear again and then you can bottle it.[/QUOTE]

**Fantastic news! Ok i will look out for gunky stuff at bottom then. When you replace into a DJ without the gunk how long does it take to clear roughly before you can bottle it up? Just want a rough guideline is all. Thanks so much for the advice, cheers

Comment

Fantastic news! Ok i will look out for gunky stuff at bottom then. When you replace into a DJ without the gunk how long does it take to clear roughly before you can bottle it up? Just want a rough guideline is all. Thanks so much for the advice, cheers
                          I started a batch of in mid April, racked the gunk off on 7th May, and it's pretty much ready to bottle now.

BUT each batch behaves that bit differently (e.g. the current batch is quite orange in colour, and of the two batches I made last year, the first was very rose, and the second more like a white wine, and drier too) so don't worry if yours takes longer/shorter!

Comment

Ok Hazel I have gunky stuff in the bottom of my DJ, so got some syphon hose today and need to get another DJ tommorrow when the shop opens. The color is the most amazingly soft "candy floss" looking pink wine, I have to say I'm well pleased right now. At this rate I'll have xmas prezzies this year for people too.

Comment

Ok Hazel I have gunky stuff in the bottom of my DJ, so got some syphon hose today and need to get another DJ tommorrow when the shop opens. The color is the most amazingly soft "candy floss" looking pink wine, I have to say I'm well pleased right now. At this rate I'll have xmas prezzies this year for people too.
                              It sounds lovely!

You can always syphon it into your bucket that you started it all off in, then clean the dj and use a funnel to pour it from the bucket back into the dj (have a taste during this step, obviously ). Saves buying another dj.

Do the same when it's clear enough to bottle, then use the funnel into your bottles. This will be one million times less messy than trying to syphon from the dj straight into bottles. I speak from experience and pass on Flummery's most excellent advice.

Comment

ok good to know but can i ask a really silly question? why do yo need to place in DJ to clear? Why cant you just bottle it up and then let it clear in its bottle?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X