No announcement yet.

schnapps

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am going to harvest the first crop of rhubarb this weekend and will start the schnapps One question....does it make a difference to the finished product if you use an expensive vodka compared to say a Tesco's own or Lidl special??
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think on one of the threads andrew said he uses a cheap vodka and it did'nt make any difference.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

even better!!!!

ps....discovered 2 of our rhubarb plants are throwing off flowers!!. Have taken a photo so will post it ....probably in the autumn by the time I suss out the Picassa! Must say, ..it's a fantastic site, as all the family photos are so accessable...(even the kids stuff!!! )

Comment

Nicos, in another thread I asked Andrewo about this and he said this may be the end of it's life, so I'd cut the flower off to save the rhubarb. Andrewo, please correct em if I got that wrong
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

No, you're right, though it is not the end of the plant it can suck all the energy out of the crown and then the crown never recovers. Take off this flower stalk, the best way to propagate from a crown is to split it or take off one of the rhubarb stalk 'nodules' when they first start to bud - you can cut this off with a sharp knife taking some of the crown and get a new crown this way. If you let it flower, it will just be wasted - and sap the crown of energy. I was always told to take them off.
            Best wishes
            Andrewo
            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Originally posted by bramble
              I think on one of the threads andrew said he uses a cheap vodka and it did'nt make any difference.
              I use cheap vodka, it makes no difference as you are reactivating the fermentation process.
              Best wishes
              Andrewo
              Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Tomorrow is the day then!!!

Comment

Scnapps started

That's it, we've started the first schnapps!!!

Sterilised everything and put it into a demijohn with an airlock. Keeping it dark and cool and trying to shake it as often as we can. There is a pink quality to it after only a few days and translucent haze.

4 bottles of 70cl cheap vodka - that can get you very strange looks at the checkout of the local supermarket!!!

Will try and keep everyone posted.
                  Dave

Do what you enjoy, or learn to enjoy what you do - life is too short.

Comment

How vigorously are you shaking yours dave? Mine is in 1 litre jars but wasn't sure whether to give it a gentle schuckle or whapp it around abit. If you know what I mean!

OH was horrified at the amount of Vodka I put in
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Shake, rattle but no roll

Jennie
                      I'm just giving it a fairly gentle swirl but all the rhubarb is moving. It's taken on quite a deep pink colour now and all the sugar has dissolved. The only jar available was a demi john and it's fitted with an airlock as I couldn't get a bung, so I can't give it what for too vigorously.

nearly 4 bottles went in ours..... we have a queue of people willing to try it though.
                      Dave

Do what you enjoy, or learn to enjoy what you do - life is too short.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X