My first brew- youngs wine kit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Shirl,
    I bought the kit with 2x5 litre tubs which supposedly makes 6 bottles.
    Can i use the cans for about a fiver to make more? it says instructions on back of label so i am not sure.
    Also i was hoping that with your expertise you could tell me what i would need to do if i wanted to use something like raspberry juice, bought from the shop. What sugar and yeast content etc.. and would it work the same as the kit i have used now. I will get the cjj berry book eventually but would appreciate your knowledge.
    I did smell some bought wine tonight and it had a milder smell but similar so i have good hopes for my first batch, i think it may be a bit harsh but will wait to taste. I did see something about adding sugar to sweeten but may leave it as it is for my first go.

Comment

Yes you can use the cans. I did the strawberry one once and it was quite nice. I now prefer to use tinned strawbs instead - will look out the recipe and post it when I get a chance. The full instructions are printed on the inside of the label and it is as easy to follow as the kit - if I remember right it also has the yeast and stuff under the plastic lid.

I have posted recipes for tinned rhubarb wine and T-bag wine on here - both are good and simple.

Most fruit juices (from juice, not concentrate and you have to check there are no preservatives I think) will make wine. I would recommend a can of red or white wine additive (from Wilkinsons just over a quid each I think) depending on fruit colour, to help with the body - most of the rest is covered by my T-bag wine recipe.

I will PM you a good brewing site that I belong to which gives good starter recipes and lots of advice - nearly as helpful as this site but not quite so quick with replies!
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Thanks for the web link Shirley.
        I have a tin of strawberries so will look forward to your recipe when you are able to post it.
        Gonna look up your tea bag wine now, i have different varieties in the cupboard and am intrigued.
        I have done the degassing, (properly i hope) and am now waiting to add the other little sachets. It smelt like alcoholic vinegar earlier!! but when i did a little taste was not too bad.

Comment

WooHoo!
          I have bottled it, was not as tricky as i thought and only lost a few dribbles.
          I like it and did a blind taste test on my friend with a bought chardonnay and he was not too keen, so i have put it in the fridge to chill and will try again before i go out.
          I'm so chuffed, even got little labels on the bottles LOL

Comment

Well done you! Cheers!
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

I like it, Hic!

Comment

What kit was it, I think I might give it a go! Also, did you get it online?

Comment

Hi Raine,
                  it was a youngs chardonnay kit from wilko.
                  It has two 5lr tubs in it too. makes 6 bottles.
                  very easy. i think you could order online.

Comment

Thanks- I might give it a go!-

Comment

Yeah, have a go. You can reuse the kit too, although it is a bucket type tub and some books say use airlock bung thingys for fruit wine so no flies get it, i was disappointed until i thought of making a hole in the top and putting one in.
                      Quite inspired thinking for a change!! ( pat myself on the back )!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X