Rhubarb Schnapps

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb Schnapps

This makes a delightful looking pink schnapps. Try adding to a glass of sparkling wine.
    Approx 1kg chopped rhubarb
    300g castre sugar
    1 litre bottle vodka (cheap as you can find)
    Pop all the ingredients into a jar (or 2 depending on size). Store in a cool dark place for 6 week -if you remember shake jars daily. Strain into a bottle and serve
    vegswap.co.uk - Swap your surplus homegrown fruit and veg,seedlings, jams and juices.

Hello- and welcome to the Vine!!!

Hmmm...looks like you'll fit in a treat here!!!!!

yummmmmyyy!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I hate rhubarb & I'm not so keen on vodka since I've had the kiddies....but pop them together...well there's a different story.Made some a couple of years ago & it was yum!
      Cheers for the reminder....I've even got both things in the kitchen,so may make it tonight!
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

i guess you like rhubarb nicos, i think i'll try this along with raspberry vodka, trouble is when i start making cocktails with this sort of stuff i end up sozzled for the weekend

Comment

This summer I intend to make that lemon stuff. Anyone got the recipe handy? Might try it for Christmas pressies.....
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
            This summer I intend to make that lemon stuff. Anyone got the recipe handy? Might try it for Christmas pressies.....
            here you go...from piglets blogg...

Evington Hilltop Adventures: Limoncello

Comment

Originally posted by kate&rob View Post
              i guess you like rhubarb nicos,

Urm..well...more of the other ingredient!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                here you go...from piglets blogg...

Evington Hilltop Adventures: Limoncello
                Ta lots. I will be keeping that recipe for future reference!
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                  Heres one i found, not tried it though.

15 lemons*
                  2 bottles (750 ml) 100-proof vodka**
                  4 cups sugar
                  5 cups water

* Choose thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest.

** Use 100-proof vodka, which has less flavor than a lower proof one. Also the high alcohol level will ensure that the limoncello will not turn to ice in the freezer.

Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry.

Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there is no white pith on the peel. NOTE: Use only the outer part of the rind. The pith, the white part underneath the rind, is too bitter and would spoil your limoncello.

Step One:
                  In a large glass jar (1-gallon jar), add one bottle of vodka; add the lemon zest as it is zested. Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least (10) ten days and up to (40) days in a cool dark place. The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. (There is no need to stir - all you have to do is wait.) As the limoncello sits, the vodka slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the lemon zest.

Step Two:
                  In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water; cook until thickened, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before adding it to the Limoncello mixture. Add to the Limoncello mixture from Step One. Add the additional bottle of vodka. Allow to rest for another 10 to 40 days.

Step Three:
                  After the rest period, strain and bottle: discarding the lemon zest. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.

Comment

Was looking for uses for my excess rhubarb, great thread, shall be happy tonight. Woohoooo
                    Bob Leponge
                    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Bumped....

Comment

Excellent, thanks - definately C present worthy!!

Comment

Would that be ok to make now or is it too late to pick rhubarb?? Many thanks - sound delicious.

Comment

Good recipes. I like schnapps and cider, and I prefer light alcohol to higher alcohol drinks. But I have no addiction and need to drink often.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X