All ready to go......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROFL!!

Try a 5 gallon batch in a bucket - that fizzes as there is no airlock involved.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
      I find using 1 litre cartons of grape juice very easy as a starter.

Use 2 litres of white grape juice, 1 liter of apple juice, 525g of dissolved sugar, add yeast, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme, then top up demi-john and ferment.

Recipe here

Homebrew wine and country wine including recipes

Scroll down to the white wine recipe.
      Last edited by Sanjo; 24-04-2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I used the juice from the 1 litre cartons on the shelf, the website recipe recommends no added sugar or preservatives. But I just picked the fruit juice (not drink). I'm not sure it's long life but it isn't from the chiller cabinet and probably not fresh.
        Last edited by Capsid; 24-04-2009, 08:46 PM.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

For a first 'made from ingredients' wine (I don't count the fruitjuice ones as 'ingredients') now is the time for dandelion wine! There were some good recipes on here about a week ago.
          This is a great year for dandelions. When we see a yellow field, we have to check whether it is Yellow Peril (YUCK) or dandelions (hurrah)!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
            I used the juice from the 1 litre cartons on the shelf, the website recipe recommends no added sugar or preservatives. But I just picked the fruit juice (not drink). I'm not sure it's long life but it isn't from the chiller cabinet and probably not fresh.
            Thanks Capsid, I'll have a go at it. I did make Berry's blackcurrant wine from bottled juice last year and it was (just about!) acceptable.
            I currently have a Chardonnay kit on the go which was a great success last time.

Comment

six days in and still bubbling like crazy! should i be siphoning into fresh demijohn yet? |Its rather cloudy with a lot of sediment in the bottom...

Comment

No leave it for at least 2 weeks.
                Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Still not siphoned into the fresh demi...... fermenting seems to be slowing, just 1 bubble every 3-4 mins now,

Time to siphon off yet? cloudiness seems to be settled now too.... i soooo want a taste!!!

Comment

Sounds ready to me. To siphon that is and when siphoning don't forget that you may accidentally get a mouthful.
                    Last edited by Capsid; 11-05-2009, 09:56 AM.
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Its the accidental mouthful i'm looking forward too!!!!

Comment

Well it tastes like wine, just not as sweet as i thought it would be, but still seems drinkable! since siphoning into fresh demi ( a few hours ago ) the cloudiness is rapidly disapearing..... i think my first attempt at making my own wine has been a success will give it another week in this demi then siphon into bottles and...... ahem..... drink a glass or 3! will let a few bottles mature though.

What recipe shall i try next....

Comment

I would let it mature in the demijohn, it does this better in bulk. Then bottle it. The maturing process is the most important step really, there are a lot of chemical reactions still taking place. The problem is having the will power to wait for it. I'm maturing my wine for 6 months in the demijohn and then several more months in a bottle.
                          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

6 months? be lucky to wait 6 days!! lol...... nah, i'm not that impatient really, its teasing me at the mo, its even more clearer than it was at my last post, think i'll have to take it down to the shed.... outta sight outta mind right?

Comment

I hide mine too!
                              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

LOL, Cheers
                                BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                                Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X