anyone got a kiwi wine recipe?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone got a kiwi wine recipe?

as the title says, after going to the supermarket and buying a load of kiwi fruit that were cheap, i have looked on the internet for a recipe for kiwi wine but have only managed to find ones that contradict themselves or list ingredients but they don't appear in the method or vice versa.

so has anyone got a recipe that makes sense?
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Never tried kiwi wine, but my standard recipe is simple enough that it should be OK.
    3lb fresh fruit (a bit less might be OK with kiwis) ˝lb raisins 2lb (or 1kg) sugar, nutrient, and yeast Enough water.
    Chop or mash fresh fruit, pour sugar over, cover and leave overnight. In the morning add 2 pints hot water, stir well, add raisins, add another 4 pints cold water, add yeast and nutrient, ferment in bucket for a couple of days, strain into demijohn, top up with cold water, carry on as for any other wine.

I don't do complicated recipes with wine making!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

thank you, will be giving this a go later.
      Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
      Bob Dylan

Comment

Carry on as in any other wine? Given that your start is so simple, can you expand in an equally simply way as to what carrying on means? Have demi-johns, not am a 'half the gear, no idea' girl at the mo!!

Comment

simply let it ferment in the demijohn until it seems to have stopped fermenting, rack when clearing (sometimes gets it fermenting again, and sometimes it will semi-clear before it stops fermenting anyway) degas before second racking (see advice from Shirl on degassing, she's the expert there, and indeed on the stricter approach generally).
          When it comes to bottling there are several approaches to deciding if it is ready, and mine (as with a lot else) is perhaps a bit too 'seat of the pants' to be recommended to a novice.

The method given in the first place will work for just about any degree of 'scientific', or otherwise, but once it is in the demijohn, some prefer to be careful, others (me included) like to do things the easy way and risk the occasional failure.

Comment

i have been told that if you follow the recipe for goosberry wine but use kiwi it is good

Comment

whats a demijohn

Comment

Originally posted by ophiopogon View Post
                whats a demijohn
                A very large bottle with 'handles' at the top(strictly speaking a particular size, but while the term usually refers to a 1 gallon size, I have heard of ˝ gallon being called the same).
                The simplest container in which to ferment that quantity of wine, since it is easy to get stoppers and airlocks to fit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X