Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spicing White Wine?

Hello all,

I know there are hundreds of recipes for mulling red wine, but does anyone have any recipes for mulling/spicing white wine?

My friend is very allergic to red wine (something to do with the tannins?) and says she feels left out at Christmas because it smells so delicious but she can't drink it and mulled grape juice just doesn't cut it

I don't know anything about wine, but was assuming that red wine is used for mulling because white wine generally doesn't taste very nice when it's warm or maybe that white wine doesn't take well to being heated for some reason?

My initial thought was that it would be sensible to start with a white wine that didn't recommend being served chilled in the first place and go from there.....

Are there any suggestions as to type of wine to try and any particular spices/ herbs/ flavours that anyone has found go particularly well with white wine that they would recommend?

Thank you,

Red x

Cider is more usually mulled than white wine, but I found loads of recipes via Google.
    BBC - Wiltshire - Don't wine: mull things over!

and
    Mulled White Wine Recipe - Fruits - MyRecipes.com

to get your started.
    here's a cider one Mulled Cider (For The Adults) recipe - Waitrose.com
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oooh...I'd go for the cider too!!!Did it for the 1st time a couple of years ago,really hits the spot!
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Thanks two_sheds,

I feel a bit of a ninny that I didn't find these links when I googled.

I can't think of a single, plausible sounding exscuse why I didn't - so i'll just sit here and squirm with embarassment for a few moments

Comment

It won't solve the red wine problem but... we cheat. Because we spend Christmas in Spain we do a Spanish version. Shop-bought (carton) Sangria, warmed to taste. The only spice in it is cinnamon, but it is delicious!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

don't forget mead, no tannins and that can be spiced with all sorts, tis lovely, I have made a batch for xmas, but its a tad late to start now, you could buy some and spice it though the same way you mull wine.
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Any ideas on mulled soft drinks? I dont do alcohol and I am sooo fed up with orange juice
              I dont like most of the non alcoholic wines either so any ideas would be gratefully received
              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                Any ideas on mulled soft drinks? I dont do alcohol and I am sooo fed up with orange juice
                I dont like most of the non alcoholic wines either so any ideas would be gratefully received
                hmm, red grape juice, should be nice, how about trying to spice cranberry juice?
                Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Hadnt thought of that, and I do like cranberry. Cheers Bride.
                  Dont suppose you have any ideas on what spice to use? I never bothered with spicing wine in the past you see, so have no idea where to start

Comment

Cinnamon is pretty safe (would go with apple juice too). Nutmeg, cloves. Cardamom might work too. Any 'warm' spice, that you can find included in a sweet recipe....
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Hadnt thought of that, and I do like cranberry. Cheers Bride.
                      Dont suppose you have any ideas on what spice to use? I never bothered with spicing wine in the past you see, so have no idea where to start
                      as above, also you can try mace.

best thing to do is go to the supermarket, schwarz do a mulled wine mix, in teabag thingies, either get one of them, or...read the ingredients
                      Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Dont suppose you have any ideas on what spice to use?
                        Garam Masala is a good one, if you only want to buy one bottle. Check the label though, as some of them have chilli and garlic in, but you should find one with just cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, mace, cumin, turmeric and nutmeg.

As for drink, red grape juice is good, and try Shloer if you like sparkly.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys

Comment

Hi Fiona,

Mango and apple juice warmed up with a couple of cloves and a broken up cinnamon stick or cassia bark - yummylicious

Just make a little baggy:

Cut a 6" square out of a jay cloth, plonk the spices in the middle, gather it up and secure it with a twist tie (like the ones that come with food bags) or a bit of string and bung it in

A really good online shop is 'spiceworld' - they are really cheap and you can by small, sample bags, both individually or in sets, so if you don't like them, you haven't wasted too much.

Failing that search Ebay for 'Aspen Mulling Co.' - they produce 'instant' products specifically for spicing soft drinks.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Red x

Comment

Thanks for that CR. Will be nice to not spend Christmas nursing orange juice and coffeee. Be good to have an interesting drink for a change

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X