Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Blackberry and Elderberry wine recipes out there??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Blackberry and Elderberry wine recipes out there??

I need to make more wine I already have enough white from Gooseberry but would like to make a red and give these away at Christmas as pressies,. Any recipes would be good! Thanks in advance.

Always worth a search!!!!
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ipe_16131.html
    Tx

Comment

I had a look on there but to no avail, my OH specifically wants to do a wine with both as he has been told it tastes much better. Hmm to the home brew shop I must go.

Comment

I made blackberry and elderberry wine last year and it is not bad although, if you make a good elderberry and can leave it long enough it does end up like a good port.

Wellie also made elderberry and blackberry when she was here last October and although I am trying to keep it for when she gets back I did have a sneaky taste and it is fantastic.

I have the recipe in my trusty CJ Berry book if you want me to look it up for you but, if you don't already have it I can recommend it and it isn't too expensive.
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I've got a great recipe for Elderberry & Blackberry if you can wait til tomorrow for it - I'm almost asleep, and really don't have the Ooomph to get up & find it
          I do remember it has banana in it too, for body I think. It's a gorgeous wine, I'll be making it again this year, just waiting for the elder to ripen along the canal bank

Comment

i've been told about the banana, what does it do? can't quite imagine elderberry and banana

Comment

sorry just re-read post - extra body, do you think it makes a big difference as i've not added one to mine?

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                I've got a great recipe for Elderberry & Blackberry if you can wait til tomorrow for it - I'm almost asleep, and really don't have the Ooomph to get up & find it
                I do remember it has banana in it too, for body I think. It's a gorgeous wine, I'll be making it again this year, just waiting for the elder to ripen along the canal bank
                any chance you can post this pleeze as i have dried elderberries and frozen blackberries and really fancy making this!

Comment

Oooops... I guess I forgot about that then... I'll try and find it now

Comment

Originally posted by mrswadders View Post
                    i've been told about the banana, what does it do? can't quite imagine elderberry and banana
                    I've got one one the blup right now
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

2lb elderberries
                      2lb blackberries
                      2 large bananas
                      8oz chopped raisins
                      2lb sugar
                      half tsp citric acid
                      1tsp pectic enzyme (pectolaze)
                      1tsp yeast nutrient
                      1tsp wine yeast

Chop the bananas & the raisins and put together with the elderberries and blackberries into a fermenting bucket. Pour 5 pints boiling water over and gently crush the fruit. Dissolve the sugar in 1 pint of water, bring to the boil and then add to the bucket. Stir and crush the fruit some more, then leave to cool to 21c (70F). When cooled, add the acid, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme and the yeast. Cover and leave to ferment for 3 days, stirring twice daily, then strain and transfer to a demi-john. Top the jar up to the shoulder with cooled boiled water and fit bung & airlock. Ferment to completion, then rack as necessary until the wine falls clear.

This wine is best after maturing for 12 months.

________________________________________________________________________

Ours didn't make it to 12 months though!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                        2lb elderberries
                        2lb blackberries
                        2 large bananas
                        8oz chopped raisins
                        2lb sugar
                        half tsp citric acid
                        1tsp pectic enzyme (pectolaze)
                        1tsp yeast nutrient
                        1tsp wine yeast

Chop the bananas & the raisins and put together with the elderberries and blackberries into a fermenting bucket. Pour 5 pints boiling water over and gently crush the fruit. Dissolve the sugar in 1 pint of water, bring to the boil and then add to the bucket. Stir and crush the fruit some more, then leave to cool to 21c (70F). When cooled, add the acid, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme and the yeast. Cover and leave to ferment for 3 days, stirring twice daily, then strain and transfer to a demi-john. Top the jar up to the shoulder with cooled boiled water and fit bung & airlock. Ferment to completion, then rack as necessary until the wine falls clear.

This wine is best after maturing for 12 months.

________________________________________________________________________

Ours didn't make it to 12 months though!
                        oh yum! thank you. Will just pop off to bring in the cuddies and then will be starting this! had a fermenting bucket sterlsing all day in the hope you'd post this! many ta's

Comment

The advice I've read is to use very, very ripe bananas (almost black) otherwise it takes an age to clear
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

ok so i am officially a dope and havent made the transition from lbs to g's very successfully!

i started the wine and chopped the raisins and the bananas and added the blackberries and then (THEN) decided to see (confirm!) htat 500g of dried elderberries were 2lbs.....those of you that know, will know that 500g = ONE pound not two.

So given that everything was already added, will this still be ok with only half the required quantity of elderberries? are dried ones maybe (she said hopefully) equivalent to double fresh ones........??

or any advice on what i can do?

(it's a luverly colour BTW!)

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              The advice I've read is to use very, very ripe bananas (almost black) otherwise it takes an age to clear
                              and now i read the bit about the bananas!!! mine were still yellow and i dont even think had one bit of black on them!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X