Blackcurrant - stopped working?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackcurrant - stopped working?

Hi, I think I have killed my blackcurrant wine.
    It was working fine, CJJ said not to leave the wine on the lees for to long, as it had thrown a hugs amount of sediment I racked it....
    Its now stopped working.
    When I look at the frementation lock the water is all in the 'wrong side' as if it is working back to front, in fact I am good at this- the elderflower is doing the same.
    help please someone!
    worried HF somewhere between and and
    Last edited by Headfry; 26-08-2008, 11:03 AM.

Shirlthegirl47 where are you.....I need your help
    Please

Comment

Sorry Headfry, been internetless yet again. Sometimes the wine will stop working for a while after being racked. However, it shouldn't be going backwards. What are the SG readings as it might have finished.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Will check sg tonight, might need to 're-start' it ????

thanks Shirley
        Last edited by Headfry; 08-09-2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Have you tried tasting it? It may well have finished working and be ready to bottle. If not, add a little sugar. The only way wine will pull air back into the demijohn through an airlock is if the jar was washed and left hot, or the wine was warm and then cooled down.

Comment

Thing is...... It threw loads of sediment, In my books its states NOT to let wine set on sediment or it will taint the wine, I racked it (panicked) the worry is - I racked it after only about 2-3weeks! ooops and now it's stopped

Thats the trouble with books! the vine is much better! We Have Shirlthegirl43!
            Last edited by Headfry; 09-09-2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

You over-rate my ability my dear but thanks for the compliment. I have messed up a few different types of wine and that is one way to learn!

It is very possible that it finished quickly Headfry. The peapod wine that I have on the go dropped from 1.08 to .99 in just 4 days - it hasn't worked at all since it got filtered into the demijohn and it is now clearing gently.
              Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Must check the SG on it tonight! I must!

Comment

Hi Shirley...
                  it's at 1.008
                  gave the bottle a shake and it slowly worked for two days but has now stopped again?

Comment

What was the starting SG Headfry? Did you have a taste?
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

The slow working would possibly be CO2 coming out. Personally, I would de-gas it and have a taste. If it tastes nice just wait for it to clear.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley, sorry I forgot to take reading at the start ....ooops

will taste it!

It was working well before I racked it (only been going 2 weeks)
                        should I try to re-start it? I have oranges and bits just in case.

Comment

Could someone help me please! I've made two batches of damson wine - one is still in bucket - only four days old; the earlier batch has now had 6 days in demi john following first "racking."

Now the instructions I'm following say I'm supposed to rack again after 7 days or so but we're off on hols on Saturday for two weeks. Quesh is whether I'm better doing it before (maybe a day or so early) or almost two weeks late???

I actually haven't got a clue what I'm doing as this is my first attempt so easy peasy advice would be hugely appreciated.
                          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                            Thanks Shirley, sorry I forgot to take reading at the start ....ooops

will taste it!

It was working well before I racked it (only been going 2 weeks)
                            should I try to re-start it? I have oranges and bits just in case.
                            See what it tastes like first Headfry. If it is way too sweet and it doesn't taste at all 'alcoholic' then try a sachet of re-start. I put strawberry to go last week and it has never seemed to work at all - however, SG readings show that it has brewed a bit though I would like it less sweet. I am going to leave it to clear as the re-start only made it work for an hour! Sometimes it happens I guess - maybe it isn't warm enough.

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                            Could someone help me please! I've made two batches of damson wine - one is still in bucket - only four days old; the earlier batch has now had 6 days in demi john following first "racking."

Now the instructions I'm following say I'm supposed to rack again after 7 days or so but we're off on hols on Saturday for two weeks. Quesh is whether I'm better doing it before (maybe a day or so early) or almost two weeks late???

I actually haven't got a clue what I'm doing as this is my first attempt so easy peasy advice would be hugely appreciated.
                            If it is throwing a lot of sediment I would rack before you go, if not, don't worry too much about it.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley, You give us hope

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X