No announcement yet.

Re-Use Wine Bottles or Not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say use them by all means but as mentioned before sterelise them and use fresh cork soaked in sterile fluid before corking. I used to make country wine years ago and enjoyed it all. I especially liked the racking on (I got to have a taste) and have fell out of the cupboard under the stairs where I kept my demis a few times. Another interest re kindled by reading every one else's enthusiasm on this site.

Comment

When bottling up my first attempt some weeks ago I placed all my saved bottles in the bath and left them soaking overnight. That way it was easier to peel the old labels off the next morning before washing them again in very hot water...seems to have worked!!

Comment

It's just a matter of being virtuous really, re-using old bottles for making wine. In fact, it's a virtue to buy wine in the first place, so you'll have bottles to re-use. Isn't it?

I usually use Campden tablets to sterilise (six dissolved in a pint of boiled and cooled water). Even though Campden tablets are cheap, no shop around here sells them and it's back to t'Internet when they run out; so thanks for the tip about using Milton or boiling water.
        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

bringing this up again...

if I want to re-use screw top wine bottles, can I put plastic corks in them instead of using the lids. I have loads of bottles but the lids got thrown away...

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
            if I want to re-use screw top wine bottles, can I put plastic corks in them instead of using the lids. I have loads of bottles but the lids got thrown away...

I think the necks are the same size, so it ought to be OK.......
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I think you'll find that screw-cap bottles are slightly larger than corked ones. I can fit a cork in a screw-cap bottle with my thumb but you need a corking tool for a cork bottle.

Not sure if the plastic corks will be tight enough. Mind you, I have both so I could try it out later

For sterilising them I use baby bottle tablets, if I use anything at all. Usually a good hot wash does it.
              Last edited by pdblake; 15-09-2009, 03:21 PM.
              Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X