Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderflower Champagne - When does it get fizzy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderflower Champagne - When does it get fizzy?

I've filled plastic bottles with my elderflower champagne this morning. I added a bit of yeast to it a few days ago which got it foaming a little. Will it get fizzy in the bottles as it wasn't fizzy in the buckets.

Same problem Amanda so sorry, can't help - just thought I'd let you know your're not alone!

Comment

Elderflower and other sparkling wines are "gassed up" by secondary fermentation in the bottle, ferment base wine to dry and allow to clear, although apparently finished there will still be a small amount of yeast present, siphon into clean demijohn and add 5tsp sugar and stir well to dissolve pour/siphon into 1ltr pet bottles and keep in a warm place for a week or so, when bottles feel "tight" remove to a cool dark place to condition.
      Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

I have just found 4 bottles I brewed last year in the garage, I forgot about them, will they be ok to drink ??

Comment

don't see why not, just be very careful when you open them!!.
          Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
            don't see why not, just be very careful when you open them!!.
            They look nice and clear so I think I will chill one in the fridge and try tomorrow :-)

Comment

I put my elderflowers, sugar, water, white wine vinegar and lemon juice / zest in a bucket and nothing happened until about day 3 / 4 when they started gently fizzing of their own accord. No yeast added at all. Bottled on day 7 or 8 into pop bottles and was worried I'd left it a bit long, however the bottles have gone rock hard but not bulging so it's oviously working. Not tried the taster bottle yet but may do so soon. Have another bucket started off but not looked to see if it's fermenting yet.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I started mine last wed, put in a pinch of fast bread yeast a couple of days later.
                I've got mine in a brewing barrel with an airlock on top and today I've just started getting big rushes of gas bubbling through every so often - so 5 days until I started to see any action with mine, even with a bit of yeast.

I plan on leaving in the barrel until it stops fermenting then adding a bit more sugar when I bottle up - I'm a bit paranoid about explosions!

Comment

Bottled it up after 2 days in the bucket, bread yeast after a few days in the bottles, explosion today! Woke up this morning to find one bottle top on the lawn, Mrs Pumpy was looking out of the window and one bottle shot fizz everywhere so the gas was released on the remaining bottles. One went everywhere, vey impressive and probably very funny if it hadn't been over me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X