Fist go at wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
    Just be aware that it will always bubble when you shake it - try shaking a bottle of tap water - if the bubbles vanish again really quickly then you have degassed enough.
    The bubbles were still enough to force the bung out after each shaking - I didn't even have to try and remove it, just make sure my hand was over the top so it didn't ricochet off anything valuable! Not sure tap water would have quite that rocket effect. Will try when I get home for a "compare and contrast" session. Ta for all the advice. Oh, and any excuse for a slurp in the aid of tasting...

Comment

WOW, if it has that much fizz maybe you have indeed had malo-wotsit fermentation and have made a 'champagne style' brew. How does it taste?
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Is the reason the books don't mention de gassing because they all say to leave the wine under airlock for up to 18 months changing the demijohn every three months or so?
        Would the gas dissapate over this length of time?
        Would love to know the answer to this one, as my first wine was... less good due to the gas flavour. I did de gas ater i had bottled once i realised there was an issue, and found that with plastic bottles if you squeeze the bottle before putting the lid on, you cause a bit of a vacume so it encourages the gas out of the wine. This is after i tired of shaking...
        Last edited by KellsSimon; 24-07-2008, 09:38 PM.
        Simon Of Kells

Comment

I think that racking will have a degassing effect to some extent, but if it can be done with less wastage of wine..... I can't say I ever left wine for prolonged periods under an airlock after it no longer showed signs of fermenting. Racking according to clearing progress, and if not fermenting, and REALLY clear, into the bottles. Never caused any bother in my 'cellar'.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

A rose' frizzante?

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
            WOW, if it has that much fizz maybe you have indeed had malo-wotsit fermentation and have made a 'champagne style' brew. How does it taste?
            Well, the wine is beautifully clear, has no sediment at all and has had two rackings since last September...but is still fizzing and popping its bung . If this is malo-lactic doo-dah does this mean I have to bottle it in champagne-style bottles? I've only got one (don't drink much of the cork-popping stuff). Might have to loiter with intent near the recycling bins or find a friendly barman. As for the taste, at the last racking in June I wrote "very tasty" in my what-am-I-doing wine log so it can't have been too bad. (Though not as good as my variation on CJJ's English port; drank all the left-over top-up bottles in one rather large glass in one rather large sitting . And that's only had one racking!)

Comment

If my memory serves me,doesn't Mr Berry advocate a campden tablet to stop wines fizzing? though not sure why you would want too.

Comment

Not sure I fancy adding anything extra to the wine unless absolutely necessary. I have no objections to a lightly sparkling wine (even a pink one!) but I do have slight reservations over exploding bottles. STILL finding bits of ginger beer bottle in the most unlikely (and high up) places...

Comment

Plastic bottles are less drastic if they do explode, and if you look at them often, you will see whether they are 'growing' and need pressure reduced (not tried that one myself yet, but those on here who have sound convincing)......I tend to add syrup to 'top up' after every racking. Sooner or later the yeast 'drowns' in the resulting alcohol. You can sometimes get sherry strength that way. My first year elderflower (2 years ago) has turned out like a 'pale-cream sherry' with elderflower scent. We both love it (and my OH is not usually a fan of sweet wines).......
                  Now wondering why it took me so long to try elderflower. It's well worth the trouble. Maybe NEXT year we will find enough really nice dandelions to do that again......
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Ooh, and I've got three gallons of elderflower on the go at the moment!

Comment

malolactic fermentation

hi! all.
                      I would be very surprised if anyone experiences malolactic fermentation in the controlled condition used for home brewing. I would also be surprised if anyone knew that it was happening. It can be very beneficial to home brews. Adds a sort of creamey texture to the drink.

Stuck fermentation can be controlled. It can be avoided by the use of a known alcohol tolerant yeast, temperature controlled conditions and a balanced content. And please keep all your gear sterile and covered when fermenting.

Comment

Mystery bubbles

Originally posted by Brewer-again View Post
                        And please keep all your gear sterile and covered when fermenting.
                        Oh, but I do! Should I bottle in champagne bottles to be on the safe side or should I leave it, or something??

Comment

Originally posted by Nelly View Post
                          Oh, but I do! Should I bottle in champagne bottles to be on the safe side or should I leave it, or something??
                          I'd only use bottles designed for "fizzy" ,ordinary bottles are more likely to burst if you tie the corks down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X