Airlocks ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airlocks ?

I am having anther go at Elderflower wine this year. Last years failed, and it looks as if this years will too.

The water in the air lock is now in the opposite side of the airlock.
    Not sure how to explain it really.

It seems to be working in reverse, sucking not blowing!

It did the same thing last year :-(

any ideas please.
    Headfry

Dead / out of date yeast?

Has it worked at all Headfry or is this the 'first stage'?
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 15-07-2008, 08:11 AM.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Oh yes it has 'worked' and been racked and worked again!
      it is still cloudy.
      I need plan B please

thanks Shirl

Comment

What was the starting SG and SG now? How many days did it work for? Sounds like it has finished and just needs patience to let it clear. Take the airlock out, put your hand tightly over the top of the dj and give it a good shaking to degas it - the gas in the wine will hold any sediment in suspension (sounds like I know what I am on about) and then replace the airlock. This might need doing a few times and then you should see the wine starting to clear down.
        Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 15-07-2008, 01:49 PM.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

CJJ says that moving a wine from a warm to a cool environment will usual make it clear - failing that, use wine finings (although he does look down his nose at this!)

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
            CJJ says that moving a wine from a warm to a cool environment will usual make it clear - failing that, use wine finings (although he does look down his nose at this!)
            If there is any airspace above the no-longer-fermenting wine, and you put it in a cold place, you WILL get the airlock 'working backwards' because the air will shrink, reducing inside pressure.....
            It usually isn't critical, unless the liquid in the airlock is contaminated and flows back into the wine. I always use the 2 part airlocks, because they are so much more controlable...
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I did not take sg's did that last year added to the confusion as it started to go the 'wrong' way.

This method did not bother with sg's ( method given on website of my local supplier of kit)

should I rack it before shaking it, there is a little sediment in the bottom of the dj- not as much as the first time though ????
              Thanks for all the help, I really want to be able to make and taste elderflower wine. My dear Aunt made lovely Elderflower wine, she was very good at it. memories memories lovely memories!

Comment

You can rack first if you prefer but it should fall clear more quickly after degassing anyhoo. Personal choice I guess. I usually rack once then degas and allow to clear then rack again - I am greedy and reckon you lose a glass of wine at each racking
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Yeah, I go with that, who wants to loose wine!!! NOT me thats for sure

I will go shake the stuff

going to have a go at Blackcurrant over the weekend.

Thanks Shirl, I will keep you posted!

Comment

If it has worked and racked twice I'd say it is doing ok! Like the sound of this 'degassing' lark - will try that myslef on the next batch! thanks for the tip!

Comment

Well I did shake it!
                      It's cloudy again but I guess that will clear!

Have just started some blackcurrant- Fingers crossed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X