Any cork experts out there?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cork experts out there?

This may be a daft question but I'm trying to work out which corks to use with which corkers and how to store the wine once the mystery cork is in the bottle. The older books (and my Mum!) all talk about boiling/soaking corks to both sterilise and soften them before inserting them in the bottles. However, the corks that I've been able to get hold of are silicon coated and specify "DO NOT SOAK". Mum gave me her old wooden "flogger" and, on a practice run, all I've managed to do is get the cork well and truly stuck in the barrel of the flogger (and vibrate every window in the building while, literally, flogging the thing to get it to shift). I've given up on that (complaints from the neighbours were imminent) and ordered a two-levered corker which I hope will oblige. Is it possible to use a flogger to insert coated corks or am I flogging in vain? Is there some magic technique that I'm missing out on?

Next question: if I use the silicon-coated corks, do I have to store the bottles on their side or can (should?) I keep them vertical since the corks shouldn't be soaked? Oh, so little corking knowledge! Any and all assistance will be appreciated. I'm really looking forward to getting some of my concoctions into bottles (and yes, they've been fermenting for a good long time; almost a year). Ta muchly in advance.

I purchased a hand corker from Wilkinsons - two bits of plastic that fit inside each other. The cork is compressed to a size that goes into the bottle neck. Even I can manage to use it and I am not very strong these days. I use corks purchased from Wilkinsons too. I leave the corks to expand for a day with the bottles upright and then just keep an eye on them when I have stored them on their sides.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

That sounds like the thing I have but mine is made of wood - and I'm blowed if I can get the cork out of the corker and into the bottle! What do you push it with, hands or a hammer?? The two-levered corker arrived today and was MUCH easier to use. Leaves a big dent in the top of the cork, though you have just pointed out to me the fact that the corks, having been very squashed, will regain their shape with a bit of time. How do you sterilise the silicone-coated corks? (all the corks sold in Wilko's are coated). A swish with a campden tablet?

Comment

I have to confess I never considered sterilising the corks
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

The easiest method that i use, is to use the plastic top corks in red or white dependent on the wine then cover them with shrink capsules.

shop4homebrew
          good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

Just checked out the brewing forum I visit and they suggest dipping the corks in a sulphite solution for a short while before putting them in the bottles. This sterilises the corks and makes them easier to insert.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Cheers m'dear! I've now bottled the first trial gallon (some very out of date peach concentrate kit stuff that I was given by the people who sold me their demijohn collection). The lever corker is a tad enthusiastic and shoves the cork just below the rim of the bottle but I'm hoping that's fine. Hopefully I'll have got the hang of the thing before I start on the REALLY GOOD

Comment

That should read REALLY GOOD STUFF but the computer decided to act independently and cut me off mid-sentence. How rude.

Comment

The lever corker I use has a screw and nut adjustment to adjust the depth the cork is driven in. Yours may have something similar. I would agree that silicon coated corks just need a short rinse in a sulphite solution.

Mark
                  http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
                  http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

No such luck with the adjuster on my corker. Ah well, probably better too far in than too far out. Don't much like the dent in the cork though - and it doesn't seem to disappear over time. Am I being too fussy? Just don't like the thought of potentially good wine and oh-so-many-months-or-years being wasted by air or nasties getting into the bottle.

Comment

I've got one of those lever-type corkers- they are wonderfully enthusiastic!.
                      I don't soak the coated corks, but I do leave them in sodium metabisulphite solution for a few minutes before using them. I think you could store the wine either way - I guess that if the corks are silicon coated they don't need to be on their sides?

Comment

see now i'd just go and buy some lambrini ..... and use the screw top bottles ....... but i never was one for expensive wine ...... in fact i don't actually own a corkscrew

Comment

Wilkinson's red plastic wine corker

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                          I purchased a hand corker from Wilkinsons - two bits of plastic that fit inside each other. The cork is compressed to a size that goes into the bottle neck. Even I can manage to use it and I am not very strong these days. I use corks purchased from Wilkinsons too. I leave the corks to expand for a day with the bottles upright and then just keep an eye on them when I have stored them on their sides.
                          Hi Shirley, I bought one of these, but there are no instructions. What do I do with the blasted thing?

Thanks!

Comment

I rinse the corks in sterilising fluid then in boiled water.If you are having trouble getting the corks in the bottles It could be because you are compressing the air in the top of the bottle and it resists the pressure and pushes the cork out.This can be overcome by inserting a short length of fishing line (sterilised) into the bottle neck before driving the cork,this allows the air to escape while the cork is driven home and prevents ejection of the cork by the air trapped under pressure under the cork,the line is then just pulled out and the cork then seals.
                            Personally I use a plunger type corker and a large mallet placing a thick rubber mat under the bottom of the bottle,this cuts down the noise and stops the bottles shattering when you get a bit overenthusiastic with the mallet
                            Last edited by snakeshack; 19-09-2013, 10:23 PM.
                            don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                            remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by snowmoonelk View Post
                              Hi Shirley, I bought one of these, but there are no instructions. What do I do with the blasted thing?

Thanks!
                              Basically, separate the two bits, stick a cork in, put them back together - line up hole of corker with bottle top and press down. Simples
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X