Citric Acid - Where to buy??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citric Acid - Where to buy??

Help! Have elderflower cordial recipe, lots of flowers around (but not picked), lemons, sugar, but no citric acid!

Have tried Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Boots! Where else can I try? Getting concerned now, as the flowers don't last long and I have already made the Limoncello, so getting right into it, now!!
    Last edited by SlugLobber; 16-06-2008, 10:14 AM.

Would have thought the lemon juice would negate any requirement for citric acid. You will find citric acid in most chemist shops (used to be able to get it there anyhoo), Wilkinsons or a brew store will also stock it.
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 16-06-2008, 10:25 AM.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

It's used in winemaking, I got mine in Wilkinsons

Comment

I am going to send hate mail to Wilkinsons, soon. People hre keep recommending them, but there isn't one anywhere near me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked the pharmacist at Boots and he said 'Oh I think Boots *used* to sell it, but we don't, now'. He seemed to be an 'It's over there on the shelf' type.

Will try the local chemist, later.

I thought that about the lemon juice, Shirl, but it says 75g Citric Acid. To me, that's quite a lot, so I didn't want to miss it out.

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
          I thought that about the lemon juice, Shirl, but it says 75g Citric Acid. To me, that's quite a lot, so I didn't want to miss it out.
          That is a heck of a lot of citric acid!! You sure about the recipe?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

There's lots of brew shops on Ebay if you don't mind waiting a few days?
            I know what you mean about Wilkinsons - my nearest is 1/2 hour drive and everyone on here always talks about how great they are! It's very exciting when I do go tho!

Comment

You can shop online at Wilkinsons... and the citric acid is about 79p!
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Go to a small chemist and ask there. My husband was in the UK last week and I sent him to buy some and everywhere had sold out. He tried a samll family run place and they did have some - but were rationing it!
                They said that everyone is making elderflower cordial this year and supplies couldn't keep up..
                Good luck.
                Tx
                Tx

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                  That is a heck of a lot of citric acid!! You sure about the recipe?
                  No, so I do plan to double check with my source! The packs come in 50g each, so I did wonder myself!

Comment

Here's a link to various elder recipes. Their presse calls for tartaric acid in a large quantity. There is also a recipe on this thread... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gne_18683.html
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

possibly a bit late but !!!

2 Lemons
                      3 litres water
                      2x1/4kg Sugar
                      3 tbsp citric acid, (if you cannot find citric acid, simply double the amount of lemons)

Found this on the web, still think the equivalence of citric to lemons is wrong but Hey Ho!! I reckon that the 2 lemons would do.

Comment

Hi chaps! Well, the very nice guy who gave me the recipe also got me some Citric Acid on Monday evening. Or should I say he sent one of his workers into a shop for some!!! Upshot is, I tried the recipe and it's fabulous!! I still have two lemons at home and so might make some more to freeze this weekend. My recipe was for just over 2 litres, with 2 lemons.

On a serious note, is it possible to drink too much??? I've had headaches since making it on Tuesday and I wonder if this is the cause - am I addicted to sugar, now??? Eek!

Brewer again, there seems to be a vital ingredient missing from that recipe.

Comment

Citric acid is the commercial version of the juice that comes out of lemons, oranges etc (citrus fruits). If you can't get the powdered version, simply use more lemon juice (I'd prefer that anyway as it's natural and who knows where the powder stuff comes from)

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a thousand litre water container on my allotment that came from a pickle factory and originally held............you've guessed it, citric acid.

I didn't flush it out as I couldn't see any residue but now it's full of water and when I run it off into my watering can I can smell a slight vinegary smell and the water fizzes initially.

I have only been watering selected plants with it ie not my 'best' plants.

Is it toxic to plants does anyone know?
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a thousand litre water container on my allotment that came from a pickle factory and originally held............you've guessed it, citric acid.

I didn't flush it out as I couldn't see any residue but now it's full of water and when I run it off into my watering can I can smell a slight vinegary smell and the water fizzes initially.

I have only been watering selected plants with it ie not my 'best' plants.

Is it toxic to plants does anyone know?
                              Shouldn't be toxic in such dilution. Are you in a hard water area? Fizzing suggests some form of carbonate reacting with the residual acid, unless you are using a galvanised watering can, in which case there might be a reaction you could do without, but still unlikely to harm plants if well diluted (more likely to 'eat' the watering can).

Is that one of those plastic cubes in a frame?
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X