Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's Willie?

Comment

Ooops! sorry! It was 5am and I'd been up since 2am worrying about Dexter the dog! DDL
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

DDL, I hope Dexter The Dog is ok.... it's really upsetting when animals aren't well.
        Wishing you both well.

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
          DDL, I hope Dexter The Dog is ok.... it's really upsetting when animals aren't well.
          Wishing you both well.
          Thanks wellie, he seems a bit better at the mo. Good days and not so good days. Perhaps a snifter of blackberry whiskey could do the trick! Bernie aka Dexterdog
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Just found this thread. Last October I made the usual sloe gin, damson vodka (had a brilliant set of fruit on my damson tree) and bullace (wild plum) brandy. All gorgeous, just the fruit, sugar and the spirit. Would try any again and I really fancy the idea of using blackberries. I collected lots last year and made blackberry jelly.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

blackberries

You can brew Blackberries to make a lovely drink that is about 18% without the expense of buying shop bought spirits. Just take the juice and add yeast and leave it to work.
              Lovely drink for negligable outlay

Comment

when you strain the fruit out of the spirit melt some cooking chocalate and mix together when cool chocalate liqueur
                What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Wished I'd known that earlier jacob!
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

I am getting ready to make some blackberry brandy. last year i made some chokecherry brandy that was super smooth. Brandy by nature is the alcohol distilled from fruit. I cook the wine in a pressure cooker and distill the alcohol from the vent so far this method works well but you have to have the vent vlamped tight. I am new to this forum

Comment

I stated making beer last year and have made several hundred bottles. I have some persimmon wine but may turn that into brandy since it seems no matter how many times i rack it i still have a hint of astringency. I mixed peach and grape wine and it is acceptable, my wife actually prefers it. Living in germany spoiled me with all of the inexpensive wines.

Comment

Originally posted by brewer View Post
                        You could always brew the berries as a wine and then freeze distill the result. This would provide an excellent berry brandy which would be in the style of a french liqueure brandy but would only cost the sugar. My dictionary accepts that there are liqueure whiskies so they must be around. Perhaps you need a really old smooth whisky into which you put berries. It just seems such a waste of the whisky brewers talent.
                        Freeze distilling is a new one on me and as this must be illegal perhaps you would give me detailed directions just so I dont do it accidentally!!

Comment

I distilled the persimmon wine into brandy. Man is it strong, knock your socks off, flavor is not bad like corn whiskey with a hint of fruitiness. I just checked and i have persimmons comming on this year, we had a bad freeze and i though it killed everything. I have to work on my distillation, i have a steamer but it gets to hot and it blew the safety plug, i will have to regroup and use a lower temperature. I am going to check my blackberry wine and beer today they have both stopped fermenting.

Comment

I checked the blackberry wine today and it was very good. I like a wine with a touch of sweetness like the german spatlase. I may try to use splenda to sweeten instead of sugar before i bottle.

Comment

flavour concentration !!

Polly fouracre ! Hi
                              Even some beer companies use the same process to concentrate the parts of a brew that do not freeze as quickly as water. Water is the first part to freeze so place your brew in a freezer then take it to that stage. Then pour the rest into a container and save it, it really concentrates the flavour and other parts. The ice can be dumped.

Comment

They used to do it in Cananda with cider - Stick it in the snow, chuck out the ice from the top. The result is called applejack.
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X