No announcement yet.

Elderflower Wine - Anyone got a recipe?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderflower Wine - Anyone got a recipe?

We've got a big Elderflower Tree that overhangs into the garden. I can see the flower buds forming and every year I think, right I'll make some Elderflower Wine this year, but I never do..... has anyone got a real easy recipe for Elderflower Wine please

1 pint elderflowers
    1 gallon water
    3 1/2lbs white suger
    1/2lb raisins
    juice of 3 lemons
    yeast
    nutient

Collect flowers on a sunny date when fully open and trim from the stems. Bring water to the boil and pour over the flowers, add sugar, chopped raisins and lemon juice. When cool add yeast and nutrient. Leave to ferment in a warm place for a week, strain into a demi john, fit an airlock and leave to ferment. When it clears siphon if off the deposit, wait 2 months and then filter and bottle.

Don't forget elderberry wine is also very nice. We are going to try elderberry port this year.

Comment

Here's another one to try:

1 litre elderflowers picked on a dry sunny day, free from stalk and green.
      1 pint white grape juice concentrate
      800 grams white sugar
      3.5 litres water
      2 tsp citric acid
      1/2 tsp tannin
      campden tablets
      nutrient
      sauternes yeast

Pout 2 litres hot water onto the flowers and macerate them wiht a wooden spoon. When cool stir in the acid, tannin and 1 crushed campden tablet. Cover and leave in a warm place, macerate the petals daily for 4 days.
      Dissolve the grape juice concentrate and sugar in 1 litre warm water and strain the flower water into the syrup.
      Stir in the nutrient and yeast, pour into a fermentation jar, top up with cold boiled water, fit an air lock and ferment to SG 1.015.
      Rack into a clean jar and add 2 crushed campden tables to terminate fermentation.

Bernie aka DDL
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Thanks to both of you Borage, I'd love to have your recipe for Elderberry Wine/Port if you have one you wouldn't mind sharing

Comment

elderberry port

2lb elderberrys
          1lb Oranges
          7 pints water
          1/4 oz brewers yeast
          3lb sugar

method
          strip the berries and put in a clean bucket
          peel the oranges and slice the fruit, discard the skin.
          bring the water to the boil and pour over the berries and oranges
          allow to cool, once lukewam strain the fruit through some good muslim into a demijohn.
          add the sugar to 1/2 a pint of boilng water and stir till it has dissolved
          then add this to the demijohn
          sprinkle the yeast into the liquid give a good shake and add a air lock and watch it go mad shortly afterwards.
          after a few days when the bubbling has slowed down top up the demijohn to the neck with water (boiled and cooled).
          leave till fermentation complete then bottle.
          for best results leave for a year then drink.

Comment

Elderberry wine

4lbs elderberries
            3 1/2lbs suger
            1 gallon water
            yeast

Strip berries from the stalks pour on boiling water and let it cool before adding yeast. Stir daily for 3 days then strain through muslin onto the sugar. Pour the liquor into a dark glass demijohn but do not fill completely until first vigorous ferment has subsided. When fermetation is quieter fill to bottom of neck and fit fermentation trap. Once fermentation is complete siphon off into a clean dark bottles and keep for at least 6 months.

Comment

Not wine but nice.
              Elderflower Cordial.
              1 colanderful full elderfloweres snipped off the stem,
              Water to cover,
              Sugar.

Put flowers in a large pan with enough water to cover them completely..Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15-20 mins.
              Strain and measure liquid,return to pan and for each 1 1/2 pts. of liquid add 1lb. sugar.Heat gently until sugar has dissolved,then boil rapidly for 5 mins. or so.
              Put into a jug,allow to cool and pour into a sterilised bottle(or bottles) leave until quite cold,then screw on caps or cork.
              Will keep in fridge for several months.
              Use to cook tart fruit,pour over ice-cream or dilute with fizzy water.

Comment

hope this helps

What is a litre of flowers, well it is usually considered to be flower heads gently pressed down in a container.

One recipe draws the flavour from the flowers with hot water then carries on for four days using cambden tablets to stop fermentation. Other one goes straight to the ferment.

One uses raisins t'other uses grape juice concentrate, this is to provide body/vinosity. Without this the wine would be strong (with enough sugar added) and perfumed but thin.

I would recommend that the must is covered at all times to prevent bacterial invasions. Even if the first ferment is vigorous just leave a space in the bin for the head.
                One thing I remember is that immersing the flower heads in water in netting first allows the bugs to crawl off, there may be some.

Comment

Thank you, I can't wait for the tree to flower now

Comment

I made elderflower cordial last year, put into 1 litre plastic bottles (with a bit of space left) and froze for Christmas. Diluted with sparkling water it made a lovely refreshing non-alcoholic drink.
                    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

just thought Id bump this for the newbies as its that time again.
                      Yo an' Bob
                      Walk lightly on the earth
                      take only what you need
                      give all you can
                      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

When you say 'flowers' they are tiny, how do I get those tiny tiny petals of the stalk. or is some stalk ok?

Comment

Too much stalk can make the wine bitter. Use a fork to help loosen the flowers.
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by borage View Post
                            elderberry port

2lb elderberrys
                            1lb Oranges
                            7 pints water
                            1/4 oz brewers yeast
                            3lb sugar

method
                            strip the berries and put in a clean bucket
                            peel the oranges and slice the fruit, discard the skin.
                            bring the water to the boil and pour over the berries and oranges
                            allow to cool, once lukewam strain the fruit through some good muslim into a demijohn.
                            add the sugar to 1/2 a pint of boilng water and stir till it has dissolved
                            then add this to the demijohn
                            sprinkle the yeast into the liquid give a good shake and add a air lock and watch it go mad shortly afterwards.
                            after a few days when the bubbling has slowed down top up the demijohn to the neck with water (boiled and cooled).
                            leave till fermentation complete then bottle.
                            for best results leave for a year then drink.
                            Hi Borage

I thought you had to add Brandy to the final mix to turn the elderflower wine into port?
                            Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

I walked passed a load of elder flowers today and thought I'd come on here for a recipe! And here is several recipes.....

If it is dry in the morning, I am going back to take some.

In new money how much is a litre in brain dead mrdinkle terms? An old supermarket plastic bag full? I know what a litre is, but I ain't gonna put them in a bottle when I collect them am I!

Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X