No announcement yet.

Elderflower Wine - Anyone got a recipe?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so glad this was bumped, I saw them making elderflower champagne on river cottage spring last night and OH and I were discussing whether we could do similar.
    Don't have demi-johns etc, (missed some on freeshare last week) but think I could make the cordial. There are loads of elderflowers down our road.
    http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by mrdinkle View Post
      I walked passed a load of elder flowers today and thought I'd come on here for a recipe! And here is several recipes.....

If it is dry in the morning, I am going back to take some.

In new money how much is a litre in brain dead mrdinkle terms? An old supermarket plastic bag full? I know what a litre is, but I ain't gonna put them in a bottle when I collect them am I!

I know it's an old thread/post, but..... a supermarket carrierbag full 'as picked' seems to provide between 2 and 3 litres of blossoms, depending how 'full' the bag really was. We always end up picking too many, make at least 2 gallons, and still put in rather more than recommended amount.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I have 20ltrs almost cleared made from 5gal volume of heads, used stalks and all, not bitter! Shirl, did check carefully for cat wee flowers, none found, musta been good trees, will use again, still lots of flower left to make berries, 5 gal? later, blackberries looking goooooood this year, starting to think 10gal?, maybe some liqueur?.
        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Ooh, loving the sound of the elderberry port. Just got to get my demijohns cleaned in time for picking!

Comment

Bit confused why the 'heads' are measured in 'pints' and not grams(??)

Comment

Because they are measured by volume, so you use a pint measure and lightly press the flowers down. Grams used to be too small a measure for the ordinary country winemaker!
              Welcome to the vine by the way - why don't you pop over to the introduce yourself thread and make an entry!
              Last edited by Jeanied; 31-05-2010, 09:16 PM.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Can I make elderflower champagne or wine in a demijohn? I have got airlocks too.

Comment

I made 2 batches of cordial last year. The first was brilliant and really looked forward to the 2nd but I obviously did something wrong because it was a sort of honey colour.Although reluctant to try it I did and the small sample I tried was not nice. Any suggestions It was as if it had oxidized or something

Comment

I'm attempting Hugh FW's elderflower champagne at the moment - clean plastic bucket and a pinch of champagne yeast. It's bubbling away nicely and smells wonderful. I've tried this before using a demi john but it was really bl*?"!y aweful! Mind you could have been my technique......

Comment

I've added the yeast to my wine and sealed it up with an airlock but its very murky. Will it clear up?

Comment

Will try some of these but just to clarify how much weight is 'a pint of Elderberries'?

Is it just a case of filling a pint glass with berries and the weight not really being that important?

Comment

Originally posted by Colarris View Post
                          Will try some of these but just to clarify how much weight is 'a pint of Elderberries'?

Is it just a case of filling a pint glass with berries and the weight not really being that important?
                          Exactly that Colarris.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X