No announcement yet.

home brewed wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It cleared lovely, but never got past 'beer' on the hydrometer. someone said add raisins - I did, made no difference, someone said add some bakers yeast, I did- it did not start fermentation - I have left it alone to have a good think about what it wants to be guess I should try it really....not sure though.

Comment

Did you keep a note of the starting SG and what it is now? If it has fermented out then it will be finished. Never take as wrote what the book says. Get brave and try some - you might get a surprise! Go on, try it now I will make a really wild guess that it will be sweet.
      Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 29-02-2008, 03:15 PM.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Shirley... I will try some this weekend....... gulp! as in -nervous gulp, not as in -big gulp of wine!
        I will let you know on monday, will also look in wine diary to see the starting SG and how far it got, or not as the case maybe.

Comment

I am sure you are going to be surprised. Can't wait for you to taste it!!
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

The problem will start if it is good.......best try it towards the end of the day!!!!

Comment

So Headfry - did you sample the wine?
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Sorry nope.... worked in the garden and on plot all weekend. I want to take SG before I disturb it to much. I remember one other thing about it now... it sucks! airlock seems to work in reverse... its sucking air in and not letting gas out as it should do?????
                Had bottle of home grown, home made grape yesterday!!! tastes very 'easy' to drink, oh boy, one glass and I was in trouble!!!! tee hee hick!
                Last edited by Headfry; 03-03-2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

LOL, chicken. get the airlock out of it, siphon it into clean glass and give it a taste. You will do it more harm than good if you keep ignoring it! Worst that will happen is you will go 'yeuk' and spit it out - taste near the kitchen sink just in case, and have a glass of something you know tastes good to enjoy after.
                  Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

I know, I must be brave, the marrow I made sits next to the elderflower... marrow has a tag on it saying 'yuck'!
                    maybe I should take up knitting!

Comment

Nothing wrong with knitting, gives you something to do when your demijohns are all busy and it is too dark and cold to sow seeds

Make a kit wine to give you confidence
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirley,
                        Still not tasted yet, it will have to wait for the weekend, but....
                        started Elderflower 9th June
                        13-06-07 and it was 1.048sg
                        4-08-07 0.098sg
                        the recipe is from my CJJ Berry book pg 159.
                        Even the method was odd, in ingredients listing it said 3/4 elderflowers not pressed down- then in method it states 3/4 flowers lightly pressed down???? what is a 'newbie meant to do? I know lots rave about CJJ but on my 4 attempts I have found areas lacking in clear directions.
                        That said I will keep trying, and with your help should get there in the end. I am really enjoying having a go at wine making, just not very knowledgeable or confident yet.
                        Last edited by Headfry; 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                          Hi Shirley,
                          Still not tasted yet, it will have to wait for the weekend, but....
                          started Elderflower 9th June
                          13-06-07 and it was 1.048sg
                          4-08-07 0.098sg
                          the recipe is from my CJJ Berry book pg 159.
                          Even the method was odd, in ingredients listing it said 3/4 elderflowers not pressed down- then in method it states 3/4 flowers lightly pressed down???? what is a 'newbie meant to do? I know lots rave about CJJ but on my 4 attempts I have found areas lacking in clear directions.
                          You're right - ol' CJJ can be a bit inconsistant (or a bit unclear for if you are starting out) - I found that with the parsnip wine.

Of course that's why the Vine is so brill - someone will be able to offer advice!

Comment

hi Hazel, glad it's not just me then. I really want to do some parsnip next. Would like to start this weekend??? house work permitting

Comment

1.04 is pretty low but the finishing SG would indicate fermented to dry. the only think I don't like the sound of is the air going back in through the airlock - that isn't good. Get a cork in the top of the dj as soon as you can to stop it spoiling further. Siphon it off the lees (which can make it taste really bad) and give it a try. if it is disgusting, chalk it up to experience and have another go. The elderflower I made used dried flowers so it was by weight not measure.
                              Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 04-03-2008, 11:37 AM.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

No, it's not you, HF! I set up a thread when I started the parsnip wine here - which you might find useful - and I did the Parsnip wine on p142.

The biggie to note is that although CJJ calls for Pectic enzyme (reduces pectic acid haze - used for fruit wines), he actually means Amalyse (reduces starch haze - used for root veg wines).....
                                Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 04-03-2008, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X