wine from grape juice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine from grape juice

i've heard you can brew wine from the basic red grape juice you can get from the supermarkets ?
    know if this works ?
    Treat every day as a new challenge... love it, learn from it and most off all enjoy it!

Wine from supermarket juices - copied from a wine making forum I belong to

Hi and welcome to the vine. You can indeed make wine from grape juice. Make sure you check the SG before adding any sugar as some juices are sweet enough without the addition of extra sugar.

"Many variables with this one, just make sure that there are no preservatives in them (pottasium sorbate)

3 Litres any juice cartons
    1 Litre of white or red grape juice
    1 lb Sugar
    1 tsp Pectolase
    1 tsp nutrient
    yeast

Emptied juice into Demi up to the 3/4 gallon mark, add pectolase, alter SG up to around 1080/90 ish, add the nutrient and yeast leave to ferment in demi (with airlock) after 3/4 days top up with the grape juice,ferment out,should be ready to drink within 8 weeks."
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 20-02-2008, 02:57 PM.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Hi and welcome to the vine. You can indeed make wine from grape juice. Make sure you check the SG before adding any sugar as some juices are sweet enough without the addition of extra sugar.

"Many variables with this one, just make sure that there are no preservatives in them (pottasium sorbate)

3 Litres any juice cartons
      1 Litre of white or red grape juice
      1 lb Sugar
      1 tsp Pectolase
      1 tsp nutrient
      yeast

Emptied juice into Demi up to the 3/4 gallon mark, add pectolase, alter SG up to around 1080/90 ish, add the nutrient and yeast leave to ferment in demi (with airlock) after 3/4 days top up with the grape juice,ferment out,should be ready to drink within 8 weeks."
      Thanks!! I’ll give it a go; I have all the ingredients at home,
      Treat every day as a new challenge... love it, learn from it and most off all enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by winolover View Post
        Thanks!! I’ll give it a go; I have all the ingredients at home,
        Go for it - just make sure your yeast is in date (wine yeast gives a better ferment)
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Thanks for that Shirley - looks like one for me to have a go at

*notes short making-to-drinking time

Comment

daft question

I know this might sound a bit daft?
            But I have not long started doing home brew; I always buy the kits, but would like to make my own as I have all the other bits to brew with,
            I have seen tins of concentrated grape juice next to the kits; can I just use one of these to make wine? Or are they just to add to wine kits?
            Last edited by winolover; 20-02-2008, 03:08 PM.

Comment

You can use those to give a bit more 'body' to a fruit or juice wine.

It is worth investing in CJJ Berry's 'First Steps in Winemaking' to give you general tips on making your own wines. Be warned though, most of the recipes use a lot more sugar than you really need.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                Thanks for that Shirley - looks like one for me to have a go at

*notes short making-to-drinking time
                For the shortest making-to-drinking time you can't beat the Youngs 7 day kits though Hazel!

Tinned fruit makes nice wine too.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

thanks i'll have a look for that book this weekend ?

thanks so much for your help,

Comment

You are welcome, it's what the vine is all about
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

For the shortest making-to-drinking time you can't beat the Youngs 7 day kits though Hazel!
                      Think I might do one as a stop gap - was the bottle I had from you at Holly Cottage the Chardonnay?

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                        Think I might do one as a stop gap - was the bottle I had from you at Holly Cottage the Chardonnay?
                        Yes indeedy. Did you enjoy it?
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Yes indeedy. Did you enjoy it?
                          I certainly did, thank you! That's why I want to know, so I can do some more!

Comment

wine from juice or concentrate. I said concentrate!!

One problem with ready to drink juices and grape juice aside from the preservatives is the artificial sugar content. You could find if you use fruit juice that it is still quite sweet after the sugar has fermented out.

Cans of concentrated grape juice are for making wine with, just dilute and brew! but they are also used to add body to wines like elderflower which are very light.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X