Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snadger
    replied
    Seem to remember using ground up eggshells to clear mine! very organic!

Just out of interest I harvested a parsnip today out of my 6" pipe experiment. Pipe was 4 foot long and the roots came out of the bottom and into the soil!

After a struggle I managed to get the parsnip out and one of the allotment regulars spotted me carrying it home with some other veggies for the Sunday dinner. He told me it would have won most of the local shows and that my single parsnip should feed a family of five!

Leave a comment:

• shirlthegirl43
    replied
    Go Hazel!!!

Now, I wonder why I had to buy amylase for my banana wine? Maybe dear Mr Berry got muddled with his parsnips and bananas?

Leave a comment:

• scarey55
    replied
    Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
    Came home re-checked the book - the Brew man is right about the pectin/starch thing, so why does the 'recipe' clearly call for peptic enzyme and not amylase??
    This tiny hurdle apart, I'm ready to go!
    Oops, praps that's why my parsnip wine wasn't that great - I would've followed the CJ Berry recipe and used peptic enzyme

Looking forward to "watching" the great Sutton Coldfield experiment

Leave a comment:

• Seahorse
    replied
    I'll be watching this with interest Hazel!

What are you planning to do with the parsnips afterwards?

Leave a comment:

• Hazel at the Hill
    started a topic Hazel's Parsnip Wine

Hazel's Parsnip Wine

So, having tried my hand at a Wilko wine kit, I'm now ready to have a bash at my own parsnip wine.

I'm starting a thread so that I can record how it goes, and so that you can all chuck in your two penn'th.

A couple of observations before I start - one is that making wine from root veg still leaves the root veg usable (thank you, Brewer Again, I would not have thought of that) which means that I am not brewing wine to use up the European Parsnip Mountain, I am brewing wine as well as having the European Parsnip Mountain.

The other is that when I went into the Brew shop to get peptic enzyme (as called for by C J J Berry in his First Steps in Winemaking book), and the Brew man said that I should use amylase instead - peptic enzyme is used to clear the pectin from fruit based wines, amylase is used to clear the starch from veg based wines.

Came home re-checked the book - the Brew man is right about the pectin/starch thing, so why does the 'recipe' clearly call for peptic enzyme and not amylase??

This tiny hurdle apart, I'm ready to go!

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X