No announcement yet.

root veg wines ++

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd add sultanas (same difference but paler) to a white wine Hazel. Mince them up and add to the must. You can then reduce the sugar. I tend to do 1lb (or 500g for the younger generation!) minced vine fruits and 1.5 lb sugar, but I like my wines dry.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

raisins or sultanas to add

I noticed both in my local A**A superstore in the baking section with budget labels and budget prices. I would use these if I did not have some home grown or picked fruit to add.

I am especialy fond of blackberrys or elder berrys to provide the fruit body to a wine, but you have to keep it all clean and balanced. I have to admit that I tasted some really disgusting home made wines in the 70's.

Now we have the technology and the web sites so that we can help each other. I think we can make 'root and fruit' (copywrite) wines as good or better than shop bought vine wines.

Comment

I think many of the 70s wines were really top heavy on the main ingredient. For example, Elderberry wines with 4 - 5 lb elderberries to the gallon. And virtually nowt else but the sugar. They were rarely 'nice'.
        From experience I would now use no more than 2lb of elderberris, my usual 1lb minced raisins and occasionally some (being a variable amount depending what's left in the freezer!) sloes or brambles. The result is a much better balanced wine. I don't like a dominant flavour in a wine - especially if it's a vegetable!

Comment

70's heavy wines

The 70's was a revival period for home made wines. Your grandparents had made it but your parents thought it was naff. They would rather buy pub drinks, well mine did.
          The information was also localised so in the UK root veg wines were often suggested along with hedgerow fruit. You remember 'food for free' by richard maybe.
          Now the approach is more scientific making very palitable brews for the cost of sugar plus time. This really is a win win situation and it is rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            I think many of the 70s wines were really top heavy on the main ingredient. For example, Elderberry wines with 4 - 5 lb elderberries [and 3lb sugar] to the gallon.
            I've just made up one of those!

Oh well, I'll have to go out and pick another 2lb of elders, buy a bag of sultanas, and have another go.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              I've just made up one of those!

Oh well, I'll have to go out and pick another 2lb of elders, buy a bag of sultanas, and have another go.

Elderberry can be harsh, but most fruit wines, isn't 'tasting of the main ingredient' the point of non-grape wine?
              If I want wine that tastes like the wine you buy, I go buy it. Fruit wine (and certain flower wines) I want to taste what I made it from!
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I don't want wines tasting of the main ingredient if that is a vegeatble! I like a fruity wine. Like real wine, really. A soupcon of raspberry or damson is fine. A strong flavour of parsnip or bean is a real no-no for me.

Comment

I don't want wines tasting of the main ingredient if that is a vegeatble! I like a fruity wine. Like real wine, really. A soupcon of raspberry or damson is fine. A strong flavour of parsnip or bean is a real no-no for me.

The only veg I can imagine making wine from would be carrot or parsnip (both of which I have heard are nice). If I don't want it to taste of a particular ingredient, I don't make wine from that ingredient.

Comment

Exactly my point. I really dislike vegetable wines so I stopped making them.
                    Last edited by Flummery; 11-09-2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Flum, I am going to stun you with the brilliance of my spring onion & asparagus wine
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Exactly my point. I really dislike vegetable wines so I stopped making them.
                        I never started (nor did fil, whose home-made wines got me into the idea). It's just that one of the things I can't understand is why ANYONE would make wine out of something they don't want to taste in the finished product, but I suppose it takes all sorts.......

Comment

Originally posted by Brewer-again View Post
                          Just been reading through a new wine recipe book and had a surprise. If you make wine with root veg you can pour off the liquid and brew with it. But what I had not considered is you can still eat the potatoes,carrots, parsnips or whatever. You can even brew with rice water then eat the rice.

This was a bit of a revalation to me as it means you can get even more from your produce. In the past I had always poured the solids onto the garden ???

Even if you did not want to eat them straight away they can be stored as prepared and cooked veg, then use from the fridge or freezer.
                          I've come across recipes to this effect, but most of them, the veg would be thoroughly over-cooked (for my taste, OH might like it) by the time the liquid was ready for wine making.

Comment

We save all the veggie juice for our dog's dinner and I think I'd prefer wine made from uncooked fruit and veg - got 3 types on the go at the moment and just poured boiling water on to kill wild yeasts.

What's the book called - is it good?

Comment

Just make sure you don't add salt to the water if you are someone who cooks with salt! Pretty sure that would render the wine disgusting!

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                                Just make sure you don't add salt to the water if you are someone who cooks with salt! Pretty sure that would render the wine disgusting!
                                GOOD POINT! (and another reason why I won't be doing the 'double usage' version)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X