Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavouring Alcohol Confusion

Hi all

I'll confess up front I have not idea really about brewing or even flavouring Vodka except for the rhubarb schnapps recipie....

Anyway, I'm giving it a go and it raised a couple of really basic questions in my small mind...

1) I presume the sugar will raise the alcoholic potency of the vodka, if so, by how much? I never unerstood the measurements of alchol and only really understand % values by knowing large is weak around 5%, wine is medium around 12% and spirits are high around 40% (but you obviously drink smaller amounts as the number goes up...).
    2) Can I give bottles away yp friends and family?

I am wondering if I can basically give some away to friends (if they like it) but am wondering what might happem if I do?

Cheers
    A very paranoid Shortie
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Hi Shortie,

Sugar won't increase the alcohol content of the vodka because there is no yeast involved. In a normal brewing process, the yeast would convert sugar to alcohol with carbon dioxide as a by-product. As I understand it, the sugar is there to make the schnapps more palatable with the tart rhubarb juices. The recipe posted is an infusion rather than a distillation process. I'd personally stick with the infusion because it's just too easy with distillation to make something that is very very potent and could potentially make someone quite ill. Not my cuppa at all really! You can't enjoy the drink when you're comatose!!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Thankls Birdie Wife, that's what I was hoping to hear as I was getting worried I'd be making my friends ill, or super-drunk!

I know it may sound silly, but is there any legal reason why I can't give it away either? I have in my memory that it might be, but don't remember why I think that, or if it is just if you're distilling you own....?
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Brewing, fermenting and infusing are all legal as long as it is for personal use or given away to friends.
        As soon as you start selling it, then it becomes a business and VAT and excise duty comes into play.
        Distillation by heating or freezing is illegal in the UK, unless you have a licence to do so.
        Jax

Comment

Cheers Jax... Looks like some of my Christmas pressies are sorted this year already then!
          Shortie

Comment

Drink enough of the stuff and you will have no more worries, feel no more pain, you WILL be the best dancer and singer at the party - take it from someone who knows !!!! Ro

Comment

What do you mean Rosh...? I already am the best dancer

I can tell this from the cheers and claps I get whilst on the dance floor... or is it that I provide humour...?
              Shortie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X