Froot drinks that float yer boat?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Froot drinks that float yer boat?

Okay guys & gals we've got some sloe gin and some blackberry brandy steeping, but what other spirity froots float yer boat? Recipes too please.

Are there any other good alcoholic drinks to be made from sloes, we've still got lots? I read about sloe sherry on the 'cottage small-holder's' website, has anyone tried it?
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 05-10-2007, 12:30 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Not exactly sloes(in fact not sloes at all!)I put a dozen or so coffee beans in a bottle of rum a couple of months ago and have just had a sniff and a taste--absolutely gorgeous!!

Comment

8 oz damsons, (prick them once with a needle) 4 - 6 oz sugar - depends on your taste and how ripe the damsons are.
      Bottle vodka. Mix well, shake for a month or two. Strain off fruit. Really nice.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hmm I think we're alcoholics!

Have just made another batch of sloe gin, but also gonna be trying some raspberry gin and raspberry brandy and sloe brandy!!!!!!

Using the sloe gin recipe but replacing fruit/spirit as by drink title. Hic.

Comment

Just started some bullace brandy. I made it last year but didn't make enough! 2 bottles this year.

Comment

Been reading sloe.biz site for more recipes. Found one for pacharán or patxaran (in Basque) . Its an anise spirit version of sloe gin.

We'd got some ouzo left so we tried it with our left-over sloes! We added sugar as we didn't have sweet anise spirit. All the english recipes seem to say add coffee bean and vanilla but I checked on the spanish wikipedia and there are different variations....

Here's how good it is for you!!!

Organolépticas characteristics - They will pacharán Navarrese must be red or pink intense. If he appears cloudy or with posos it means that one has not filtered correctly. The brightness is youth signal, and the opaque tones of oldness. It has to have intense aroma and afrutado and the scent to alcohol is not due to notice.

Nutricionales and Medicinal values - The endrina (sloes) contains vitamin C, is tonic, astringent and fortifies the stomach. The flowers of the shrub are diuréticas and smoothly laxative when they are used like infusion. These are the medicinal properties of will pacharán, that turn out to be good for the stomach, to alleviate the excuses of the oldness and to prevent the arterioesclerosis and the infarct. In addition, it acts like sedative on the nervous system.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachar%C3%A1n

Here's a babelfish translation -

Pacharan Recipe

250g of endrinas (sloes), if possible mature are necessary
            1 liter of sweet anise.
            They are macerated during 7 or 8 months in a fresh and dark site...one filters and it is bottled. Also a leaf of laurel or grains (beans) of toasted coffee can be added in the period of maceration, to give a special touch him.
            Added others during the maceration, very used in some regions, are flowers of manzanilla or cinnamon in branch (piece of bark).

We added a cinnamon stick as we have no coffee beans. And sugar as ouzo is dry not sweet, would really like to try a go with anisette (sweet anise) next year.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-10-2007, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Oh yes! I really need something to alleviate the excuses of the oldness.
              This is lovely! Thanks Manda.

Comment

Lol! I too wondered how much I had to drink to 'alleviate the excuses of oldness' Flum!

Here's what the posh stuff looks like - http://www.licoresbaines.com/textose/pacharan2.html
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Well we've come home from Crete with two bottles of ouzo, and have just picked some sloes - so gonna make some Pacharan again. The small amount we made last time was very nice indeed.

Has anyone else tried it?

Comment

Never tried Pacharan Manda, but have heard of the sloe Pastis/aniseed type drink you mentioned.

Rhubarb schnapps? Sloe Vodka? (same as gin but .....)
                    Plum brandy?
                    Cherry brandy?

Hmmm, not saying my productive fruit garden is going to cause me liver problems but....
                    Bob Leponge
                    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I found a recipe for elderberry vodka somewhere on the internet and since I've been in something of an elderberry frenzy lately,I decided to try it.

Elderberry Vodka
                      4 cups fresh elderberries, picked over and washed
                      2 cups sugar
                      1 tsp lemon zest
                      2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
                      1 cup water
                      3 cups vodka (use the cheap stuff)

Crush the berries and sugar in a bowl and leave to stand for one hour. Add the zest and juices. Transfer to kilner jar and add vodka and water. Age in a cool dark place for one month, shaking occasionally. Strain and filter. Transfer to final container and age for another month before serving.

I used a small teacup because I don't have any measuring cups here (and it doesn't specify what type of cup anyway). This used practically all of a 70cl bottle of Tesco Value vodka and the whole lot has filled, to the brim, a large kilner jar (I think it's 1.5 lt, though it could be 2 lt - how unhelpful! ). I also left the sugar and elderberries in a freezer bag overnight so the whole lot was a liquid mush the next day. I emptied what I could into the kilner and rinsed the bag out with the cup of water. The stuff in the kilner looks AMAZING. No idea what it will taste like but it's doing its stuff in the cupboard under the stairs and hopefully turning into something delectable...

Comment

I'm going to try this with blackberries - should be a bit good!

Comment

[ours is gonna be (might alter the sugar ratio when it comes down to it! )]

Pacharan recipe

70cl ouzo (or anisette)
                          300g sloes
                          200g sugar (leave out if using anisette, it's sweet and ouzo isn't)
                          2 sticks (4") cinnamon

Leave for about 8 months (its left longer than sloe gin).

Found Hugh's Haw brandy recipe so will be trying that too.

Haw Brandy

450g haws
                          225g sugar
                          600ml brandy

1) Pour alcohol into bottle, followed by fruit then sugar. Give it a good shake until all ingredients are well mixed.

2) For the first week shake the bottle to stop the sugar settling to the bottom. After that shake on a weekly basis and taste after 8 weeks. Once it is ready for drinking filter through some kitchen paper/coffee filter. Enjoy!
                          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 21-08-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

i've been given 3.5lb Damson's & 5lb of plums today, fancy having a go at fruit alcohol of some kind. Probably Damson Gin & Plum Vodka, can anyone recommend a recipe for Plum Vodka please?
                            Jane,
                            keen but (slightly less) clueless
                            http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                              i've been given 3.5lb Damson's & 5lb of plums today, fancy having a go at fruit alcohol of some kind. Probably Damson Gin & Plum Vodka, can anyone recommend a recipe for Plum Vodka please?
                              What I have seen on sale (never tried it) is Plum Whisky.
                              The 'usual method' is good enough for most fruit.
                              Large jar, loosely filled with fruit (skins slightly broken, eg with needle, for plums and similar) pour over sugar to 'cover' (but not enough to fill all the spaces between the fruit).
                              At this point I leave it in the warm for 48 hours, and then there is a fruity syrup starting to appear. Fill jar with appropriate 'spirit'. Leave it alone for weeks or months (depending how hard the fruit was).
                              Strain and bottle. Ready to drink!
                              Wondering whether to make a Strawberry Vodka with some of the reduced price Stawberries I bought when shopping last night, have I got suitable jars, other than the ones I need for sloe gin?
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X