No announcement yet.

Bottles for homemade fruit gins/brandy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottles for homemade fruit gins/brandy?

Well, this may seem a daft question but here goes....we've been making sloe gin and blackberry brandy, using 1lt sainsburys spirits. When they're ready to strain and bottle what's the best 'container' to use? Can they go into wine bottles and be sealed with a cork stopper? Something I read suggested green/brown bottles were good to stop the colour of the liqueur fading?

Hic! thanks - its sloe city round here!!!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I used to use that method SBP and it works very well. I only changed as once when in a French supermarket I came across 70cl and 1 litre lemonade bottles with grolsch type stoppers and bought them for secondary use more than for the lemonade. They are also great for flavoured oils and vinegars.

Your proposed method however, worked very well for me till then. If you use clear bottles, the darker spirits will fade unless you keep them in a cabinet as I do. The beauty of the clear bottles is that you see the beautiful ruby colour of the gin before its poured.

Comment

I tend to use the bottle the gin/vodka came in. Naturally you get a profit! The extra goes in the 1/3 size wine bottles (250 ml). The screw tops are perfectly good for re-use and as I keep the stuff in a cabinet, it depends on whether it came in a clear or green bottle in the first place. The little wine bottles are always green. My sister buys a red occasionally to have with her tea. Remove the labels when cleaning of course, produce your own on the computer - wonderful gift, never had one refused!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X