No announcement yet.

Getting your seeds off to the best start this year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a suggestion - if you could supply a sample of your product to people we trust and know to have considerable expertise such as BM, VC, AP, VVG, BB, etc. and let them do some trials and report back on their findings, it would help those of us sceptics, who are used to to taking advertising with a doze of salts, to give proper consideration to said product.

That aside, as a newbie to veg growing and allotments, after clearing my plot of weeds for the last month or so, I have experimented by covering my beds with straw under seaweed and would welcome your opinion as to the value of this.

Thanks
    Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

There's a lot of info about biochar and how it's made here: What Is Biochar? | International Biochar Initiative

Comment

Terra preta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know Wiki isn't the best source of info but this gives a starter for ten as to the idea behind charcoal use to improve poor soil. I started looking at this a couple of years ago after reading a report on the Amazon. It's like the Seer rockdust, you can pooh pooh it but until you've seen how lush and verdant the lower slopes of any volcano are then it just seems like a clever marketing ploy. I believe in life that you should explore all possibilities before saying "no, it's a load of wotsit." It doesn't mean you have to buy charcoal as you can actually make your own. There may however be people that fancy learning more and maybe trialling as indeed I have, just not with this.
        Hope you find it interesting anyhow.
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Hmm....rockdust.

Or Rocket Dust as I call it.

Comment

Hello, Carbon Gold, and welcome to the Madhouse!

Grab a cuppa, and a chair. Maybe two chairs - you may need one for protection (Lion-tamer stance! ) against some of 'em!

Your product looks interesting - I'm off to have a read...
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

One comment if I may now I have had time to mull this over.

I do not know who wrote the introductory posting, but my personal view is, that it is the wording of that post that has caused many negative comments. Hence my previous post about controversy.

I know from my own experience that the vine is usually a very friendly place and makes newcomers very welcome, so this was an unusual reaction.

So I will start again..................... a warm welcome to the Vine expert. But I give you one piece of advice live up to your title for there are on this site people who richly deserve the same title.

Colin AKA Potty.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                There's a lot of info about biochar and how it's made here: What Is Biochar? | International Biochar Initiative
                There's a bit of interesting stuff about Craig Sams, who started Biochar here. He started the world's first organic chocolate company (G***n & Bl**ks) so can't be all bad!
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Well, we are almost 40 posts on, my query has still not been answered by the expert so I think I will stick with the vines own experts as they have not failed me in the past.
                  Well...hopefully the Expert will be along shortly
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Good job its not urgent!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
                      Just a suggestion - if you could supply a sample of your product to people we trust and know to have considerable expertise such as BM, VC, AP, VVG, BB, etc.
                      Shen, I will never be an expert while ever I have a hole in.........no, we won't go there...........It is just a hobby for me which I enjoy.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm flattered too, BM - or its typo

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I'm flattered too, BM - or its typo
                          Me too, I must sound good at times
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Shen, I will never be an expert while ever I have a hole in.........no, we won't go there...........It is just a hobby for me which I enjoy.
                            Up until this last year, (other than flowers), I have only ever grown rhubarb, which has performed extremely well considering it has been left in a corner unattended for the last 4 or 5 years. So as far as I am concerned you guys are experts.

I suspect the product may well live up to the claims being made, but I always prefer personal recommendations from people I trust, who have no vested interest, before spending money and in this scenario you guys qualify.

I probably shouldn't have included VC but felt all hell would break loose if I left her out
                            Last edited by Sheneval; 02-02-2013, 10:04 PM.
                            Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

So true, Shen, but I do prefer honesty to flattery

Comment

I also am flattered but my sowing normally runs along the lines of ... bung bit in & see what happens
                                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X