Aubergines not in a greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aubergines not in a greenhouse?

Would like to grow some Aubergines this year, but I read somewhere that they will not be successful unless they are in a greenhouse - even in the South of the country.

Is this right? Has anyone had experience of growing them outside?

Thanks

You might get away with them on a very sunny protected patio. Give it a try if you have some space. Sow seeds indoor ASAP though, it would have been ideal to start them earlier.

Comment

I grew an aubgergine plant outside last year. It got flowers but no fruit. However, I'm being optimistic and putting it down to last years bad weather! So I've sown some more and going to have another go!
      AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
        I grew an aubgergine plant outside last year. It got flowers but no fruit. However, I'm being optimistic and putting it down to last years bad weather! So I've sown some more and going to have another go!

Interesting - mine had no fruit last year either, lots of flowers though. The year before - loads of lovely fruit
        http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Digthatchick, are you going to have another go?
          AKA Angie

Comment

I grew one last year, strong plant but no flowers or fruit. Label said it would prefer 6-8 hours sunshine a day. I don't think I saw that much all summer
            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

I never do very well with aubergines even in the greenhouse. Am going to try once more this year with a couple of plants in the greenhouse and a couple in the conservatory and if no luck then the space will be used for something else next year. You're further south than me so may have more luck but make sure you put it somewhere sheltered and maybe in a pot so that you can protect it easier if you get a bad spell.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                Digthatchick, are you going to have another go?
                Yes definitely, in the greenhouse. Hopefully better luck this time.
                http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

i'll be sowing mine in about 2 weeks, and i'll be bringing them on indoors, then transfering them to the greenhouse when its warm and sunnyish, can it be done? no idea, will i be trying? yes i will.....sounds like an experimental to me.
                  Vive Le Revolution!!!
                  'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                  Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Grew mine outside last year loads of flowers and I got one fruit from half a dozen plants but as someone already said it wasn't the best of summers

Comment

Even further south here, my friends tried and failed. I seem to recall they had a couple of fruit from several plants (all outdoors in raised beds) but the fruit didnt actually come to much. However we also had an atrocious summer last year.
                      Bob Leponge
                      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I'm yet to have any success but I think it's more down to making my sowings too late previous years.I've got some seedlings ready to prick out now,also I bought a couple of different varieties which I want to sow ASAP.
                        There's a chap at the lottie that always manages a row of perfectly formed aubergines outside on his plot so I know it's possible.
                        My plans this year are to try a few in the greenhouse(starting to think I'm not getting a polytunnel this year),some outside at the lottie,some near the house at home & maybe a couple on a windowsill indoors.....I WILL have aubergines this year!!!
                        Last edited by di; 17-02-2009, 08:43 AM.
                        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I once had fruits on a sheltered patio area in one of the long-ago hot summers - I think it was 1976! I got fruits from a few greenhouse plants the year before last (didn't sow any last year) but they turned out very long and thin - I should have read the packet! So I've got three tiny shoots on the windowsill and they will go into my cold greenhouse at the end of May. I'm growing Black Beauty. Hopng for some sensible shaped ones this time!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I managed a few "calliope" from late sowed seed, but the big plants , nothing at all.
                            Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Never tried outdoors, its tough enough growing them in a greenhouse tbh!

@Flum the long thin ones taste as good don't you think? Thai long green are very nice and prolific if you like a milder aubgerine. Ping tung long are great too, good taste and prolific. However I sense you're a traditionalist with your aub shape?

Last year we had some fruit from early long purple but the plant succumbed to wilt early in the summer, some rosa bianco, some hative de barbentane and some farmers long (edit - like cupcake we got a few calliope too)...but the weather which started well stopped them fruiting mid-summer and then later on they picked up when the weather picked up again.

Got 4 varieties starting in the heated prop last Saturday.
                              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 17-02-2009, 09:23 AM.
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X