Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Nooby question... Potatoes!

Hi all!

So I know I asked a similar question (last year) when I was growing my spuds in pots but I want to get some advice from all you lovely experts.

I have a lovely large allotment that I have taken over this year. I have had it ready for a while, or as best I could in such a short time. But because of the weather, I haven't had a chance to plant anything out in the open. Most importantly right now is my seed potatoes.

I have had both the earlies and maincrop in trays for a while and they have chitted well BUT I went to take them out today to get ready to plant tomorrow and they have all gone crazy in the last week. most are now sprouting actual leaves, and some very thin white long thin shoots.

1. Will they still be ok to plant? Should I order some more?

2. Should I break off the chits and let nature take its course? Both or just Maincrop as I read on here somewhere that they don't really need to be chitted as they have a longer growing season.

3. I have noticed that there are quite a large portion that are fairly soft, not rotting just very soft. Is this an issue?

Thanks in advance...

Sounds like they're fine - they do go a bit soft when kept for a while (obviously any mushy ones should be discarded)

Make your holes for planting as usual but a bit wider, and put the spuds in as carefully as possible, best not to break off any of the chits if you can help it.

A lot of people cover the surface of the plot after planting with something like plastic to help warm up the soil.

In 3 or so weeks time keep an eye on the weather forecast for night frosts, and use something to protect the new shoots as they come through if necessary.

Comment

Don't break the chits off if you can help it, just plant them out when you can they are perfectly ok. I usually make a trench and place each spud the same distance apart then just before covering sprinkle some slug pellets around the potatoes to get any slugs in the soil that fancy feasting on them before the plants establish themselves.

That also means that any wildlife won't find them and accidentally eat them only the slugs that need killing will find them, by the time its time to harvest the pellets will of harmlessly disappeared into the soil.
      The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Great thank you. I managed to get most in yesterday before it got too rainy.

A slight worry is that when I was on the last run of covering them over to sleep, I found a few potatoes already buried from last year. In really good nick I might add!

I am not sure how I missed them when I prepared the ground? I know you are meant to rotate but obviously I only took over the plot recently so have no idea what was grown, where last year...

A couple of the guys said they had blight last year. I am not digging them out now though so hopefully the potato gods will be good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy_Boots View Post
          Don't break the chits off if you can help it, just plant them out when you can they are perfectly ok. I usually make a trench and place each spud the same distance apart then just before covering sprinkle some slug pellets around the potatoes to get any slugs in the soil that fancy feasting on them before the plants establish themselves.

That also means that any wildlife won't find them and accidentally eat them only the slugs that need killing will find them, by the time its time to harvest the pellets will of harmlessly disappeared into the soil.
          I saw this too late I have never thought about the slugs getting them underground as I have always grown in pots! Is there anything I can do now they are in the ground?

Comment

Blight is usually much worse when we get wet weather in the late summer as it spreads on the leaves and stalks in damp conditions. I wouldn't worry too much for now, but if it turns rainy and grey in August you might want to consider getting some fleece to make some sort of cover, if you think the plants you have by then are worth protecting.

Comment

Originally posted by nooby View Post
              I saw this too late I have never thought about the slugs getting them underground as I have always grown in pots! Is there anything I can do now they are in the ground?
              You could put some pieces of potato or apple cut surface down on your plot - that may attract any slugs which are around looking for food and you can then deal with them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X