Best time to start chillies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time to start chillies

I've recently bought some carolina reaper seeds and intend to grow them for next year but not sure when's the best time to start them .
    When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Have you got a propagator? They need constant warmth for good germination and can take a couple of weeks to sprout.

Start them around Christmas! No later than the 1st week of feb.

Comment

if you have the room to grow them on indoors I would start them in Feb, to give the maximum growing time, although I have not tried that particular strain. if otherwise employed I start some as late as the end of march and hope for a good summer....its too dark here til the end of march to get great growth but they do start slowly, speeding up as we get the light..
      Last edited by BUFFS; 03-09-2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

March is ok for cayennes etc but the super hots like Carolina reaper really need a long growing season. I consider end of feb getting late to sow those. I started black nagas end of Feb 2015....they took 3 weeks to germinate(so I lost nearly a month) and there just wasn't long enough to get any pods to ripen. I had to overwinter them,they fruited early summer this year.. that's a long time to wait for any fruit.

Comment

I'm buying a heated propagator this year and starting the super hot's on the 1st January.

Comment

I've got a garland super 7 propergator so will start them 1st of Feb thanks for the replies
            When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Jonny you've started me thinking ( that's never good! ).
              I'm considering starting next years super hot chilli's in November. In the usual manner heated propagator then in the window, growing them on till they can go out to the polytunnle. I'm looking into grow light so they don't get to leggy. I'm doing this because my super hots have only just started setting fruit and we are losing light and temperature fast up here. What do you think? I'm I being even more crazy than normal?

Comment

Trip uses lights, I think he starts in December. Remember they will need to be under those lights for sometime and they will grow big will you have enough room for them all before you need to start moving them out?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Trip uses lights, I think he starts in December. Remember they will need to be under those lights for sometime and they will grow big will you have enough room for them all before you need to start moving them out?
                  Yep I use lights and find they ate great for getting a head start...once you have somewhere indoors to keep them as they grow, then should be fine...Start the hottest one first as they seem to take a lot longer to germinate and get going...
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

That's the plan Trip just start off my Dorset & black Naga's, Scorpion, ghost and Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw In November then start my habaneros and scotch bonnets in late December. Everything else as normal start of February. Nothing will be getting potted on into anything bigger than a 1lt pot till they go into the Polytunnel.
                    I'm looking into the LED grow lights as running costs will be lower.

Comment

OMG! I'll need to get ights soon...I'm going to be soooo jealous!

Comment

Ask Santa scarlet. Tell him to look on eeebay

Comment

Its not the early start but keeping them indoors so long that creates friction with other half,we have Hungarian wax, jalapeno, some apache and 3/4 types of sweet pepper,so we make do with using these, a couple of carrier bags already in the freezer and more to come, and that is all from a mid march sowing..

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                            That's the plan Trip just start off my Dorset & black Naga's, Scorpion, ghost and Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw In November then start my habaneros and scotch bonnets in late December. Everything else as normal start of February. Nothing will be getting potted on into anything bigger than a 1lt pot till they go into the Polytunnel.
                            I'm looking into the LED grow lights as running costs will be lower.
                            Sounds like a nice mixture of heat :-) I better get my seeds ordered so I am ready to!

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                              Its not the early start but keeping them indoors so long that creates friction with other half,we have Hungarian wax, jalapeno, some apache and 3/4 types of sweet pepper,so we make do with using these, a couple of carrier bags already in the freezer and more to come, and that is all from a mid march sowing..
                              How do you manage that??? Tell me your secret. The only things I've got producing ripe chilli's are a white and a chocolate habanero and filius blue. That's because I brought them already in 1/2lt pots at a show in March. Everything else is producing nicely but not started ripening yet. At this rate I'm not going to have a chilli selection for the VVS!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X