What garlic should I get?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What garlic should I get?

As an extension to thread in vegging out, I wondered if anybody had any recommendations as to what garlic is good for planting in the next few months?

I had wondered about the solent wight one?

Also, how many cloves does each bulb have, or does it depend on variety? I only need a few (poss say around 20 cloves) but dont know if that means say 5 bulbs to get that sort of amount???

I have managed (so far I think!) to get 6 plants from one bulb planting in Feburary, and am planning on extending amount as I love garlic so much! Dont want to miss the best this time as I was rather late in feb this year!!

If you look on the site www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/ there is a lot of info on there and they have a forum worth a look i do not think this is advertising so should be alrightjacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

You might want to try some Scottish Garlic Shelle. Hardy and reliable. From one bulb you will get 6 to 8 cloves, so 2 or 3 bulbs should be plenty for you. I grew it in containers this year , planted in November, and I'm delighted with the crop. Here's a link and see the pics of mine.
      http://www.reallygarlicky.com/main2.html

Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have just lifted my garlic and grew a selection for the first time. The best results were from the Albegenisian white but the Lautrec white where impressive also.

The Garlic Farm on the Isle of White do a small collection which gives you a chance to grow a few different types which has been great fun this year.

Darren

Comment

What size pots do you use Alice, and what's the spacing? I fancy a garlic collection like Darren has tried but I don't have limitless space. Your idea sounds great.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I tried porcelain garlic for the really garlicky company (link in Alice's post above) and was really impressed with it, the cloves were massive and I'm really looking forward to roasting them. In fact, they were so big, I got on average 4 or 5 cloves to a bulb!! I didn't get special seed garlic, I just bought bulbs from the local deli and grew them. They formed really good sturdy plants so I bet they'd be good if you had quite an exposed garden.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Flummery, I grew the garlic in a bread crate (the kind you find abandoned lying around supermarkets) - about 18" by 30" by 8" deep. I lined it with membrane and filled it with compost. I planted in November with Scottish garlic from the supermarket ( or mail order from the really garlicky co). It sat on the south terraces all winter (the curcubit amphitheatre). the crop was great.
              I also planted some garlic in March. Just whatever the supermarket was selling. That went in a pot of compost, about 12" in diameter by 8" deep. Also on the south terraces. The crop was good and worthwhile, but not the same class as the November sown. Sorry don't have a pic.
              Hope that helps.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice. I might use one of my 'beachcombed' fish boxes. They have courgettes and squashes in at the moment.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X