Runner beans confusion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner beans confusion

I planted runner beans out ages ago and was told they grow fantastically in horse poo. I had a small bed mulched with it so planted out my plants there. anyway although they are alive the leaves are yellow green and the look straggly. and not very big. One of the old guys has only just planted his out in ordinary soil and they are a lovely healthy colour and some are at 6ft already.

I have concluded that for one reason or other mine have failed in the horse poo and looking on the pack it stated I can plant out until late June however the guys on the plot recon it's to late. Have I missed my window???
    Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
    I planted runner beans out ages ago
    When it was still cold? They need warmth, they really do need warmth

It's a myth that runners need feeding (with horse poo or anything else). As legumes, they fix their own food from the air, on their roots

They are thirsty though, which is why trenches of compost are often recommended for them: not for feed, but to provide moisture
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Like TS says the do need lots of watering in dry periods. I mix shredded paper with home made compost and lay it in the trench in early spring and cover with soil and cardboard to keep the ground moist and warm.
      Roger
      Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

The only things vital to runner beans are lots of moisture and relatively cool conditions. You also need pollinators to set the flowers and make the beans. It's interesting that we normally can't grow runners here in France (successfully) and the French use them as ornamentals rather than for eating. However, last year and especially this they are doing extremely well due to all the rain and cool conditions. The 'manure at the roots' should really be compost, as others have said, as they fix their own nitrogen and need moisture not fertiliser. They really are superior in many ways to climbing French beans so despite the lousy weather, we are pleased they are doing so well this year.
        Last edited by BertieFox; 23-06-2013, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Not too late to sow some more, but you need to hurry up.

Comment

Originally posted by BertieFox View Post
            ... relatively cool conditions.
            compared to Frenchies, yes.

They're South American, so UK cool is too cold (they can't be put outside in UK before May/June, usually)

You could try a June sowing, you never know, we may get an Indian summer ~ although dwarf French beans would be quicker for you

Comment

Thanks for the help on this.

I won't get to the allotment until Thursday will it be to late to plant out then? The plot is south facing as the sun catches it all day when we get sun but the beans will need to go along a south west facing trellis and that obviously seeds a problem of wind which cuts across.
              Dwarf french is a good way I'd rather hoped to see runners on my plot though, I don't know what it is but the thought of having the first successful crop of runners I've planted would be like a house warming party

Dwarfs are in reserve though

Thanks for any further advice on this.
              Last edited by mrgrower; 23-06-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Go for the runners! If we get a reasonable summer and early autumn you'll get a good crop. The position should be fine for them.

Comment

If you have lots of room, try growing several varieties of runners and climbing French beans.
                  That way if one variety fails you have others to fall back on.
                  Germination of French beans can be very patchy. I am trying Yard Long (french) for the first time this year along with Enorma and Scarlet Emperor, plus some unknown variety from saved seed.
                  Its always worth saving your own seed as it saves a few bob.
                  Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
                    I won't get to the allotment until Thursday will it be to late to plant out then?
                    I don't think 4 days is going to make an awful lot of difference, no

Comment

Thanks for all the advice on this.

I'm hoping to get to the point where I have enough knowledge to do succession planting I have the pollytunnel and another to be ordered and I have 4 cloches that where reduced at work that I will be looking to use.

I will plant the Runners out on Thursday probably over on the fruit plot as this will take a season for the newly planted bushes to take hold so lots of spare space at the moment there.

Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X