Help needed with germinating peppers and aubergines

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with germinating peppers and aubergines

All the of the seeds I've planted in pots indoors, have all come through apart from peppers and aubergines.

I don't have a greenhouse or a real propagator, but when seed packets say to use a propagator I've just been sowing the seeds in a tray/pot and then seeling the tray inside a plastic bag until the shoots start to come through, and this has worked fine with most of the plants I'm growing. However, it hasn't worked for me with the pepper and aubergine seeds.

I know they need a higher temperature, but I'm just not sure where is the best place to put them - presumably the kitchen windowsill isn't warm enough as that's where I originally put them. But I think they also need light, so a warm dark cupboard probably isn't the right place either.

Anyone got a suggestion as to where is the best place in the house to put the seed trays? I assume that a radiator will be far too hot?

We germinated our peppers in the spare bedroom, no propagator.

We placed a table a few feet in front of the window, and about the same distance away from the radiator.

We "watered" the compost with a plant mister about 3 times a day.

But... our peppers were some of the last things to germinate! They were planted at the same time as the tomatoes and peas and took ages to sprout!

Now we've got about 25 flippin' seedlings, all going strong!

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
      But... our peppers were some of the last things to germinate! They were planted at the same time as the tomatoes and peas and took ages to sprout!

Now we've got about 25 flippin' seedlings, all going strong!
      Ah! Maybe I'm just being impatient...

Comment

I set some pepper seeds on the 4th March, and had them in the proporgator on a very warm sunny windowsill.

Of the 4 only one has germinated and it has only just germinated! I've potted it up this weekend gone.

I've set 5 more orange peppers, and 5 yellow pepper seeds so will see if they take, but at least i know they do take awhile - 20days for that first one.

Comment

My aubergines were in a heated propagator and it's still taken over two weeks for them all to come up. They'll get there eventually I'm sure

Comment

Hi

I did not get my aubergines to germinate.
            Bye

PT

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

http://heifer73.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi, newgardengirl i,ve planted peppers, aubergines, they have all germinated i left them on the utility window sill in a pot they did take along time the other seeds came wellbefore these,
              Mick aka murfe 18

Comment

hi Newgardengirl,
                Don't give up on the peppers and aubergines. They tend to take longer to germinate. If you think the kitchen window sill is not warm enough put them in the airing cupboard. you see, the seeds don't need light until they germinate. What they need at the seed stage is just heat with enough moisture to keep them from drying out. Once they germinate, then they need light.
                Hope this helps some and good luck.
                Don't give up.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

As per previous posts, Peppers can take a while to germinate - sowed mine on 12th Feb and only just started getting their first true leaves last week - took ages to make an appearance but now they are off and flying.
                  Just remember that patience is a virtue - unfortunately, one that few gardeners seem to be blessed with !
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I sowed 40 peppers in the polytunnel on 18 feb - still no sign. Is this the record so far???

Comment

Do you have an airing cupboard? Peppers can take quite a while to germinate, and they don't need light to do so. However, as soon as they do show above the compost they need moving to somewhere light or they'll end up 3 feet tall with only one set of leaves. You can buy a fairly cheap heated propagator from places like B & Q, no thermostat, just a standard size seed tray with a heating element and a clear cover - that's what I use
                      Last edited by rustylady; 28-03-2007, 06:34 PM. Reason: terrible spelling, again

Comment

Yes - I do have an airing cupboard, rustylady, but it's full of linen etc (and is staying that way I was told in no uncertain terms)

I haven't given up with the peppers. I think there may be signs of life in one of the cells. The big mistake was sowing all 40 at one go. I couldn't believe I'd done that the following day - a case of optimism overruling common sense I'm afraid.

I've never really thought about a propagator - isn't there a risk of seedlings being leggy ?

Comment

I sowed practically a whole packet too, thinking that most wouldn't grow!

I've now got 30+ little pepper seedlings, all growing away merrily!

Not sure what I'll do with that many - I suspect that a lot of people will get them as presents!

Comment

Stop Press!!

2 of the seedlings planted on 18 Feb emerged on April 1.

Suspecting an april fool joke, I checked they were still there on April 2.

They were

58 days. Is this a record ?

Comment

I too have problems with Peppers and Aubergines, I work from 8am to 6pm.
                              I have an un-heated green house and a windowsill propagator.
                              The problem goes like this
                              I sow the seed in the little trays and put in the propagator on kitchen windowsill.
                              1 or 2 start to emerge and get a little leggy. they need more light, even thought they are on windowsill, its not very good light there.
                              So I move them to the greenhouse, but in the morning when I leave for work it's only about +5 on a good day! and thats way to cold surely?
                              How can I balance the light/heat bit......and the changes by moving them in and out! and get the remaining seeds to germinate.
                              sorry if this is none to easy to follow!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X