picking plums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picking plums

The problem with plums is that as they ripen, birds and wasps have a habit of eating them.

At what stage do you pick them? Just as they start to turn? Or earlier? Or later?
    Garden Grower
    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

I think the problem is more wasps than birds eating your plums. Birds can't perch on them, but they will eat them when they have fallen to the ground/

We have a Victoria plum tree, and have quite a good crop this year. I prefer to pick them later, rather than earlier, ie, when they are fully ripe. I admit you have to be a bit careful, as the fruit you are about to pick could have a wasp on it..

Lovely ripe fruits are best, as I can't think of a recipe I have for under-ripe fruit.

valmarg

Comment

If the tree is still small, say under 3 m, try using a cheap mosquito net to keep off the wasps, as shown on this page :- plums

Comment

Supposedly wasps (or is it birds?) go for fruit for the water content rather than the fruit itself so might be worth trying a birdbath or large saucer of water nearby to try and tempt them away.

Wasps are normally attracted when a large rainfall after a dry spell causes the fruit to swell quickly and split, they don't normally eat through a perfect fruit - so if it's a small tree maybe try to avoid it drying out too much and try and pick off any split fruit.

I would try and wait for fruit to ripen on tree rather than pick early, they're much nicer

Comment

The fruit on my plums is subject to damage (now) by birds, wasps and worst of all squirrels. There is also a fair amount of 'early' fruit drop about now. This seems to be limited mostly to the fruit containing maggots (plum moth) which I am sure bring on early maturity. It is therefore difficult to decide when to harvest the fruit. If I do it now I get a higher proportion of maggotted fruit. If I wait another 10 days the crop is considerably reduced or damaged by the other grazers.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            The problem with plums is that as they ripen, birds and wasps have a habit of eating them.

At what stage do you pick them? Just as they start to turn? Or earlier? Or later?
            I get a wasp problem every year. This year however I won the battle. I purchased a cheep plastic wasp catcher. It is shaped like a large honey pot and hangs it the tree I got it from Aldi late last year. it has a hole in the bottom where the bugs fly in. It unscrews so you can fill the inner lip with sugar water or jam and water.
            I think it must have trapped every wasp in my garden (best thing I have ever bought)

I also made a catcher from a 2l pop bottle, instructions can be found on the net. this caught 2 flys. I wouldnt bother again.

Comment

A simple wasp/moth/fly catcher can be made by punching about a dozen 5mm holes in a jam jar lid, then hanging the jar in a tree. A mix of vinegar sugar and water is a very effective bait.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X