Grapes for the North West

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapes for the North West

I have a large wooden structure over my fish pool [mainly to keep herons at bay]
    My wife has just decided that, and I quote["a nice grape vine would be nice over there"] there being over the pool.
    Being in the North West I should imagine I would need to be very careful in my selection.
    Can any body give advise or recommend a variety? Where to purchase etc etc!!!!!
    Would I best go for a desert or wine grape, either would be acceptable. I have made wine in the past, the rather distant past!
    You grow it; I'l tell you how to cook it

No expert here Ken, but I'm in Perthshire and all my research led me to Boskoop Glory. It was only planted this year against a south facing wall and so far it's at least growing well with little embryonic bunches of grapes.
    See what others think.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm local to you and have a red grape vine in the garden which produces a lot of (quite small) grapes every year although they are far pippier than bought ones they are very sweet. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what type it is but will check the filing cabinet when I get the chance to find out what type it is. Seem to remember I got it from the Rivendell garden centre but not 100% as it was about 8 years ago.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

im the same as alice, just got my two grape trees this year and im way up north to you [highlands] and both are growing great and looking very healthy, no grapes as yet but you never know for next year, i got mine on ebay, one red and one green one, cant remember their names, but im pleased with them so far......

Comment

I grow Regent outside without a problem.

Just south of Warrington, down the A49.

Comment

If it's red wine you're thinking of, and outside growing, try to avoid the common garden centre plants such as Cabernet, which promise much but are likely to deliver little in the North of England.

I grow Regent and Rondo, two varieties with a proven track record in English vineyards. We made some excellent wine from our grapes last year (a very poor growing season for grapes), though ours are grown against a South-ish facing stone wall which holds a tremendous amount of heat. I'd recommend this method of growing for wine in northern climes if at all possible.

Mark
            http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
            http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

white

Given a choice I think I would prefere a white variety, I do have brick wall but that is open to the public, maybe a grape loving public but in the meantime mine will have to go over the pond.
              You grow it; I'l tell you how to cook it

Comment

My favourite variety of grape grown for wine in the UK is Madeleine Angevine, described in 'Growing Vines to Make Wines' (Nick Poulter) as ' A heavy cropper of very good flavour for both eating and winemaking. This is a very early variety and therefore especially suitable for those living in a cool area...' which is presumably why many Enflish and Welsh vineyards produce a single variety MA.

I'd be a little concerned about growing a grape vine over a pond though. Might there be an increased risk of fungal problems?

Cheers, Mark
                http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
                http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X