Alpine strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpine strawberries

I want to plant some alpine strawberries in my small rockery partly as ornamentals and partly because I love the fruits and haven't had them for years (why do provincial greengrocers never stock things worth buying?). I've never tried growing them before so any tips would be appreciated. Do I treat them like ordinary strawbs (I grow Gambridge champion) or is there something else I should do? Planting times? Feeding etc.? Someone said you can get two crops a year. How? I can usually Google for info like this but there seems to be nothing worth knowing on the web.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

I planted one alpine strawberry plant a number of years ago and now have them running riot on the patio. I never trim runners and never do anything bar harvest the yummy fruits.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Me neither bought about ten plants to France with me - coals and Newcastle comes to mind - and they now cover an area about 12 sq metres.

I don't do anything to them except clear out the dead growth in March and then leave them to it, they propogate themselves and always give us 2 crops per year - it's what they do naturally.

And we can buy them here, usually about €2 a punnet in season.
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I've never seen them on sale in London but I don't shop in the posh shops like Harrods and Fortnums.

I'm going to grow from seed. I can't remember whether they're a sacrificial crop or companion planting
        If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

I sowed seeds last January and then planted them out into window boxes in early summer. Had loads of fruit for months on end and although they grew very slowly to start with they romped ahead when the weather warmed up and were lovely. Had a handfull on my cereal every morning until the frosts came.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks everybody. I guess the answer to my question is 'No problems'. So I'll go ahead buying some plants and just let them run (literally). No wonder there is nothing on the web.
            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
            >
            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I had them in my last garden Sarraceniac. I planted one in the rock garden and it spread to the adjoining path. They grew all along the edge of the path and seemed to produce delicious little fruits all summer. I never did anything to them except pick the fruit.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Had some alpine strawberries in my old garden. Missed them and now I'm growing some from seed.
                http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

yikes.... ive got about 30 alpine strawberry seedlings growing at the moment.... am i going to be TOTALLY over run by them?!

Comment

I grew them last year an they were great. This year I'm growing red, yellow and white types. Got them from the US. One thing to remember is that they like a spell in the freezer before sowing them. I popped them into my freezer box for two weeks and sowed them in January. As mentioned above, they're slow to start but really go for it!

Comment

These little badboys are really easy to grow and don't need much care-shade tollerant too. Would recomend giving a high potash feed when the flowers start to form, I use tomato feed half concentrate than it tells on the instructions but feed them twice as much if that makes sense. You don't need to do this they'll grow happily giving you fruit for bout 4 years but by doing so will give you a bigger yield

Comment

Which variety would be best for the northwest
                        You grow it; I'l tell you how to cook it

Comment

I have a small patch about 5m x 5m and can vouch they they grow like mad and need digging up as they can spread all over the place.

I get just over 2 kilos from them between June and July, I pick about 60g every other day and have them for breakfast. The little blighter's just keep coming.

I think they taste better than shop bought eating strawberries.
                          Last edited by WrexTheDragon; 20-05-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I'm so excited to read this I have got 2 plants that I was going to put in hanging baskets. Maybe I'll put them in my rockery and let them do their thing :-)

Comment

I grew them in a hanging basket last year, definitely would e better in a rockery in my opinion! Less effort

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X