No announcement yet.

After the potatoes have been harvested?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the potatoes have been harvested?

I don't have a huge vegetable patch in my garden, so I want to maximise it's use as much as possible.
    At the moment, I have an area 3m x 5m planted up with Jersey Royal new potatoes. What can I plant in that space once they have moved out? I am quite keen to try red cabbage, parsnips, sprouts (because those are what we like to eat!)
    Would these be happy in post-potato soil, and should I be sowing them in my cold greenhouse soon, ready to plant out when the potatoes have been lifted?
    Any other suggestions for different vegetables would be welcome!
    Also, how strict is the rule about not growing potatoes in the same place two years running, and is this negated by using the area for something else between seasons? The farmers in Jersey seem to use the same fields for potatoes every year, without any problems.
    Never say never!

I think brassicas do particularly well in post-tato soil. I'd plant the red cabbages and brussels sprouts. I planted sprouts, cabbages and cauliflowers in three of my post-tato beds last year and they seemed to do really well. Peas in another didn't do so great.

Good luck.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I'm going traditional on this and going with the leeks.
      ---) CARL (----
      ILFRACOMBE
      NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Thanks for this question. Have 2 x 40ltr plastic containers with potatoes in and hadn't even thought of using them for something else afterwards. Would it be ok to put Leeks in one and Purple Sprouting Broccoli in another, and should I add more manure or compost then as well?

Comment

Yep. I'd go with leeks as well, but i wouldn't put parsnips in, especially if you added manure like the rest of us, to your spud patch. brocc's will do ok.
          "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I have some PSB and brussels sprouts just sown last weekend to follow my spuds, and some leeks to follow the other spuds (I think the brassicas will follow the 1sts and leeks the 2nds). I may - depending on how fast the first harvests are made - put a couple of sweetcorns in the very first early spud spots, and I was also considering a later sowing of parsnips and possibly some carrots for that area too.

Hopefully I am not trying to plant too intensively.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
            • rary
              Reply to Chitchat thread #24
              by rary
              Today, 12:41 PM
            • rary
              Reply to Heated mat for Tom's and chillies
              by rary
              I use a mix of six scoops of compost three scoops of sand/grit and two scoops of perlite,the quantity is unimportant as long as the ratio is the same, if for seeds I use this mix, if I am potting on I add some blood, fish and bone, along with a small quantity of chicken manure pellets
              ​ though...
              Today, 12:28 PM
            • Florence Fennel
              Reply to Chitchat thread #24
              by Florence Fennel
              Today, 12:02 PM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X