• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb

Hello All,

Could anyone tell me how you can tell if Rhubarb is ready to harvest please

Thanks, Ian
    "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe Seperates Me From You"

Quite simply if the stalks are big enough to use Rooster. Pull a few gently from the outside of the crown. Cut off the green leafy bit and discard
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley,

Am I right in thinking that the leaves are not good on the compost heap by the way?

Ian

Comment

They compost down okay Rooster, just don't put loads on in one go, layer them with other stuff.

I remember Snadger posted a great tip last year about avoiding clubroot in brassicas by diggin the hole for the seedling and lining it with rhubarb leaf before planting the seedling in it. Can't remember if it worked or not!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I'm not sure why but I had it in my head that the leaves were poisonous

Ian

Comment

Yes I have heard that too !! Just pick when you think the stalks look nice big and juicy that’s what I do I also compost my leaves
            Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
              I'm not sure why but I had it in my head that the leaves were poisonous

Ian
              They are to eat, but I doubt you need to worry about adding them to the compost heap. Of course, I could be wrong, I frequently am.
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Yes, rhubarb leaves are poisonous to humans because they contain high concentration of oxalic acid. However, they can be composted successfully. Interestingly the oxalic acid doesn't seem to affect slugs and particularly snails - I find them often on the underside of the leaves.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X