Red rings on rhubarb leaves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red rings on rhubarb leaves

Any idea what this could be? I can't see anything underneath the leaf - few black fly, but that's about it. Couple of small snails on the other leaves, no other signs of pests..

Is it a disease? The plant is partially shaded, growing underneath a tree (no idea what type - it has catkins on it that are a pain though!).

Thanks!
    Attached Files

I would hazzard a guess at rust of some description caused by the damp weather we've had lately?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much Chris - the leaves will be dying back very soon and the plant will be going dormant for winter. Give it a good mulch to tide it over and with any luck the new leaves will be fine for spring.
      Mine has all sorts on it - it is under apple trees. It seems to come back fine each year.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I would guess it's just the time of the year (old age). The plants are well past their best now and as Jeanie said will be dying back soon.

Comment

Ok just didn't want to leave it in the ground if it was had it ! Thanks.. I've mulched it a bit already with some compost I had spare and couldn't be bothered taking back to the garage

Once the leaves have all dropped off (only a few left on now) I'll tip the rest over it.

Comment

I've noticed that a lot of plants have a lot of mysterious spots on their leaves this autumn.
            I'm suspecting the long period of repeated heavy rainfall and fungal opportunists are attacking the old leaves - the old leaves are probably currently.
            At this time of year, leaves are having the nutrients transferred to the roots for the winter, so the leaves are half-dead now anyway and the fungi are just taking an opportunity.
            I suspect that things will be fine next year (weather permitting).

Comment

Thanks FB Most of the leaves are being munched on by something anyway, so we'll see if anything comes of it next year!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X